Recent content by gdmoore28

1. gdmoore28

Altec Lansing 605A Duplex speakers in A20 Cabinet

& & & & & & & & & I'm waaaay late to the party on this post as I somehow managed to not see it. Those are some very nice and classy looking cabinets, and I suspect (strongly) that, as usual, you've nailed the story in every respect. The only aspect that I might...
  2. gdmoore28

Altec 604C's New member

Stumbling across a good deal on 604s is every Altec lover's dream, buddy. You done good. I've never owned a pair of 604s, so I'll be of zero use to you. However, there are a number of very knowledgeable 604 guys here who can give you a lot of info on the cabinets you should construct. Don't...
  3. gdmoore28

Add “external” tweeters to Altec 19s?

Can't remember right off hand. I just used a cross reference chart that Parts Express used to publish in the capacitor/inductor section of their catalogs. Those charts are available online, too.
  4. gdmoore28

Add “external” tweeters to Altec 19s?

While the 802 horn driver in the Model Nineteen will go all the way out to 20kHz, it starts a significant rolloff at 10-12kHz. So by the time it reaches the upper frequencies it is significantly down in output. To add those higher frequencies back into the mix, I installed a pair of Beyma...
  5. gdmoore28

Experienced speaker builders please help, tweeter upgrade

Sorry I missed your inquiry. I've been off into other hobbies since finishing the Altec build in my avatar, and don't check in here as often as I should. I've seen and heard Seeburg speakers before many years ago, but my experience with them is almost nonexistent. I suspect, though, that...
  6. gdmoore28

Random raw driver thread.

A BIG box of Dayton-sourced drivers from back when I thought I might be able to build something thrilling and exciting. All that ended with one listen to my Altecs (see avatar). From Visaton 12" woofers and a handful of dome mids and tweets, to some 1950s University crossovers and super tweets...
  7. gdmoore28

Homemade cabinet config Question?

Important question: Which speakers do you plan to use in these cabinets?
  8. gdmoore28

Cornwalls, Altec 511b’s, Beyma CP25’s = Amazing sound!

Looks like an interesting idea. I know from experience that the Cornwalls can rock some serious bass response. Keep experimenting!\\
  9. gdmoore28

Altec Lansing 846b Valencia Questions

This exactly. However, you can vastly improve the sound of the horn (believe me on this!) by adding the Altec 30923 eq/attenuation circuit on the horn leg of the crossover. This simple circuit will absolutely remove all vestiges of "honky" sound from the horn, along with slightly extending the...
  10. gdmoore28

Altec 601A tweeter cuts out.

The real Altec gurus will answer your question soon, but I agree that you have a bad connection somewhere in the tweeter path. It could be in the crossover or the wiring to the tweeter input, but it could also be one of the tinsel leads that connect to the tweeter voice coil. In any case, what...
  11. gdmoore28

Are all Sansuis like this?

Your experience is exactly the same as mine. A few years ago I was in a rural repair shop and noticed a Sansui box sitting to the side. It was a 5000X that the owner bought in Vietnam. I asked him if it was for sale and he told me it didn't work any longer. $25. New fuses fixed it. I tried it...
  12. gdmoore28

Flex Seal Air leaks

About ten years ago, I started using dried silicone as gaskets. Essentially, I simply lay out and flatten a bead of silicone on my cabinet speaker cutouts, allow it to dry overnight, and then install my components. The benefit to this procedure is that I end up with a permanent gasket that...
  13. gdmoore28

Just Snagged an 8080

Well, good luck, JJ! Please keep us updated with your progress on the 8080 - and lots of pics, please! GeeDeeEmm
  14. gdmoore28

A "Universal" Tube Preamp (and small amp) Chassis / Enclosure

Just some thoughts, questions: - Will the panels be available as "silver faced" finish in order to match the looks of classic gear? - Can you pre-punch the holes for customer customization? - Are you able to inscribe control lettering? - Curious, too, about provisions for attaching wooden side...
  15. gdmoore28

Songs that tell a story

Kansas: the entire The Spirit Of Things album. My grandkids could sing every single line from songs like Rainmaker because of the story that the song vividly portrayed. I still love this album after all these years.
Back
Top Bottom