Recent content by geoff727

1. geoff727

Arnie Nudell personal speakers at RMAF 2018

Yes, next year it's moving to a big motel/convention center out close to Denver International, called the Gaylord of the Rockies. It's visible from the airport, and the place is huge. I'm not surprised; I think the complaints started streaming in after they re-modeled the Marriott and the space...
  2. geoff727

It is. Like a lot of Magneplanar designs, though, it has magnets on one side of the diaphragm only. Thus, the "single-ended planar" terminology. EMIMs, older EMITs, and the B-G drivers have magnets on both sides of the diaphragm. Single-ended is fine as long as excursion is very low and the...
  3. geoff727

They were interesting speakers. It struck me that the midrange panel, like the tweeters, was single-ended...a departure from EMIMs and the B-G planar designs. The midbass drivers had some sort of putty surrounding the baskets. I couldn't tell if this was holding them to the enclosures or for...
  4. geoff727

Reference 2.5's Replacing Acoustic Foam.... Ugh!

The old adhesive is messy stuff. I've recently worked on a 2.5 refurb, and I took the top baffle down to the bare wood. Like you say, no chemicals really work to get the old adhesive off. G~
  5. geoff727

Newbie and IRS Sigmas Don't Mix Well

I hope you enjoy it. It contains a huge amount on info on the technical aspects of components, what all those specs mean and why they matter (and if they matter), how to select and buy components, how to determine what you need, etc. It's a great resource, and much more than "one man's...
  6. geoff727

Newbie and IRS Sigmas Don't Mix Well

To answer your questions (all good ones), buy and read The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley. If you are serious about the hobby/music, you owe it to yourself to take advice & knowledge from industry experts. G~
  7. geoff727

Scotch Tape on EMIM Diaphragm?

If you're referring to the center 2 traces that appear less wrinkly but duller in appearance, that is because there is Scotch tape on those traces. Yes, this was very common. You will find many EMIMs like this. The earliest EMIMs (early RS2.5 and 4.5 varieties) did not have it. Later, as things...
  8. geoff727

Extra crispy Quantum 3 what would you do.

Wow, that's the kind of buy I LOVE to make! Something that's near total junk that's ripe for a complete tear-down and rebuild back to better-than-new. I guess one person's junk is another person's treasure. This is the kind of thing you don't have to feel guilty about completely gutting. I can...
  9. geoff727

Infinity RS-1.5 Broken Grille Guides

Get a drill bit that's ever-so-slightly bigger than the female end of the guide post. Start drilling and PULL. It will come right out. For the male end, pry it out with the tined end of a hammer. Very simple. New ones, gently tap them back into place with a rubber mallet. G~
  10. geoff727

My Excellent RS1 Adventure

I have yet to measure large-value inductors used in Infinitys that are anywhere close to where they should be. I don't know why this is. Your experience too? G~
  11. geoff727

My Excellent RS1 Adventure

I love your story. Just one question....is your listening chair really right in between the two speakers? 'Cause, you know, these are dipoles, and they don't radiate too much to the sides. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D G~
  12. geoff727

Blown away by infinity QB

Lucky dog. My wife would NEVER do that for me. :rolleyes: SDAs can be cool speakers. Have owned a few of those over the years, too. SRS2's currently.
  13. geoff727

Infinity RS 2.5s recapping

I guess the other question is, what do you want to get out of the recap? If a sound quality enhancement is the goal, I would stick with above. And, I would solidly spike the speakers to the floor. The original bases on these things are junk. G~
  14. geoff727

You could do a few things with $200, but it won't be a whole lot, honestly, for a 2.5 crossover. Given that budget, I think I'd get the series electrolytics out of the midrange circuit (the 125uf & 50uf) and replaced with film caps, tailored to whether you single or bi-amp the speakers. Have to...
  15. geoff727

It all depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend? I am currently rebuilding some 2.5 crossovers with a mix of film caps and new electrolytics. G~
Back
Top Bottom