Recent content by Ghumbs

1. Ghumbs

I have a heatsink question for the F5 builders

Did you have them do any custom work? I'm curious about that.
  2. Ghumbs

My turn at the FirstWatt F5

I think you're right. As much as I'd like to source everything from PartsConnexion and Mouser to save on shipping, it looks like I'm going to add one more to the mix. Thanks for the link!
  3. Ghumbs

The reason I was avoiding wirewound was because they are more inductive. Am I wrong about that? If wirewound is the way to go, I can go that route.
  4. Ghumbs

I ordered the transformer last night and am currently obsessing over every little part. But I'm almost there I think. I've run into a bit of a problem, though. I can't seem to find any 3w .47ohm resistors of decent quality. I checked mouser and they only had some wirewound, which I'd like to...
  5. Ghumbs

After a year off from researching audio I'm back to finally tackle something worthwhile. Figured I should make the obligatory first post since this evening I ordered a pair of Peter Daniel's boards. So it's official, I guess. I'm going to build an F5. I've never done anything remotely like...
  6. Ghumbs

Mount Pro-Ject 9c tonearm on SL-1200?

Hard to say at this point which table I like better because it came with a crappy DJ cart that's who knows how old and beat up. So it sounds terrible. Nevertheless, I ordered the armboard a few minutes ago since it would be fun to try. Don't think I've ever seen it done. But thanks for the...
  7. Ghumbs

I wanted to update this thread since today I just picked up a couple SL-1200s from a guy locally. Time to play. I have a Herbie mat on the way and am planning to mount my Pro-Ject 9c tonearm. But first, I was hoping someone here would know if this armboard alone would do the trick...
  8. Ghumbs

Sir.Byrd's F5 build thread

Eh?
  9. Ghumbs

Sir.Byrd's F5 build thread

What about now?
  10. Ghumbs

"Blue Jeans Cables" and "Better Cables"

Not to be pedantic, but expensive and over-priced are completely different. Something can be expensive and priced fairly. Likewise something can be overpriced and very inexpensive. However I will say, with regards to Anibis' comment, something over-priced will never be cost efficient (but...
  11. Ghumbs

Bob, no hard feelings. I know what it's like to have those recurring topics ad nauseum. I tried to avoid it but it creeps in. Anyways, I appreciate everyone's help with this. Thanks!
  12. Ghumbs

I'm a bit put off by your attitude. You're acting awfully hostile when the whole point of my thread is to gain understanding as to what makes for a good turntable. I appreciated the PM you sent me but every post you've made in this thread has been sarcastic or vague. I'm not saying you or anyone...
  13. Ghumbs

The reason I say objectively is because there is an ideal. Ideally, a record would spin at the proper speed with no outside noise. It seems like all of those tweaks you mention are addressing one of those two issues. Again, I say seems because that's simply my understanding so far.
  14. Ghumbs

My question for you, and others, who are making that point is what am I missing that makes the RM5 better, other than the tonearm? Again, I'm really not trying to get into the debate of Technics vs everything. One unique thing about turntables in relation to most of audio is there's a pretty...
  15. Ghumbs

I don't understand how or why my Speedbox hums, but it does so on contact at different frequencies at 33 and 45 rpm but the regular power supply caused no hum. I don't understand it either.
Back
Top Bottom