Recent content by GlenGC

1. G

Opinions on used speakers

as others mentioned... stay away from the car sub replaced pair.. since you are asking which speaker to choose for what reasons and not exactly what is worth what. IMO posting here is just fine.. a MOD can correct me if i am wrong.. cheers Glen
  2. G

First time speaker repair

to basically check tweeters bring your ear next to it.. or stay close and wave your hand on an d off it to test if its producing sound.. swap as suggested above.. and check the impedance of both as well.. if issue switches to other channel you're either looking at a gunky ferrofluid (if those...
  3. G

Best speaker wire stripping tool

i received one as birthday present looks like this one , before that i used to do lighters, nail pulling, pliers etc.. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JO6UB7W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mybesttools-20&linkId=3a457fd1e3f4c2036544890c65252b30 best present ever !!!
  4. G

restoring soft tweeter membrane

update.. been experimenting with some material and this is what i got so far on teabag applications, i did not dilute or use solutions to ease up application to have a fair comparison between the materials this is on a teabag paper.. so on an actual tweeter textile with harder surface and bigger...
  5. G

Series or parallel connection of bass drivers?

are you talking about a cone to magnet isobaric system here?
  6. G

coil rubbing on extremely fine vintage drivers

pheww... ok update the super 3mm thick surround edges actually worked to my benefit, and i was able to open the surrounds outer edge it looks like if i shift the surrounds slightly and reposition, the rub stops.. hopefully i will be able to align them all only from the surround tuning
  7. G

while on sine i turn them around in my hand . no difference.. these are tiny woofers, so the directional sagging i guess happened over many many years gradually.. it might work if i turn them upside down and wait for 10 years :P
  8. G

hi guys.. i know there are a lot of threads on similar matters but the drivers i have in hand seem a bit out of the ordinary and i don't know what to do ... these are vintage goodmans, 5 inch woofers, from dimension 8 speakers. when i first listened to them, i didnt notice any clacks and...
  9. G

Tannoy Dual Concentric 609 speakers in the house

you can get these stuff for 200 bucks in USA.... don't know what to say .. :)
  10. G

Recommended speakers for Marantz 2225 receiver

2225 will run any decent speaker happily at it's best.. check what's available in your area preferably rated 8 or 6 ohms.. most guys here are decorated with vintage speakers available in USA .. it will be hard for you to find most recommendations in your area.. might be better if you submit the...
  11. G

i've been digging in google and old posts.. found threads mentioning shellac, and vinyl plasticizer though i couldn't yet find a product in retail that does this.. shellac doesn't sound right to me .. dome needs to remain soft and flexible like the original.. i ll keep digging , then get few...
  12. G

hmm if it never dries and shows a fingermark then it is probably some sort of rubber conditioner, like a version of armour all or thicker variations.. these have micro silicon particles that fill in fibres, hence seal rejuvenate and improve flexibility of some materials.. i'd not use that to...
  13. G

thats tidy nice work.. looks great. hmmm auto gasket sealer is a crazy durable thing.. very flexible too.. thanks for that , it's a good idea.. i ll check if i can find a black one and test on some material that vintage ar stuff i found it but its in USA .. too costly for me to get it...
  14. G

half way meaning i only lose 1 roll from the total thing. left tinsel unrolled half way to right and right tinsel unrolled half way to left, i didnt unroll half of the bobbin.. it's a minimal price to pay to get a vintage tweeter working i'd say.. may inflict maybe 0.5 ohms or less impedance...
  15. G

and this is the new patient... it was blown, but i was able to unravel the bobbin tinsel connection left one half way to right, and right one half way to left, luckily the breakage was on the first outer roll.. i guess this is where it gets hotter and blows more often if it doesn't break at...
Back
Top Bottom