Recent content by GregBilodeau

1. GregBilodeau

Altec A340 Opinions

Thanks Tom, I was thinking the same thing. I was going to try dropping down to about 60ma, what do you think? I do have my power supply to my amp setup through a variac set for 117 volts as all of my amps are vintage. Greg B
  2. GregBilodeau

Altec A340 Opinions

I have a pair of Altec A340 mono blocks and was looking for some input in regards to the cathode bias arrangement in them. The way it is setup in the stock configuration is each 6550 output tube is biased for 100ma. That seems a little high to me but that's the way the factory did it. What say...
  3. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

I checked all of my 6BL8 tubes and of the three different brands I have they all look to be Mullards so I just tried one pair. They sound every bit as nice as the Sylvania Golds I have been using but they seem to throw a better sound stage. I think I will leave them in for a while and try a few...
  4. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

Thanks, it turned out really nice. My heatsink does not get warm at all, I also have an ST35 with the EFB and it does not get warm either. I have not tried the 6BL8 tubes, I do have some so could give them a try and report back. Greg B
  5. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

Good luck tube rolling John, hope you get good results. Greg B
  6. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

Hi John, To me the 6GH8 tubes, RCA and Sylvania, sounded kind of dull, not life like, like a blanket over my speakers. The bass seemed mushy and not as refined as the 6U8 tubes do. The 6U8 tubes sound more "like your there" to me. I have not tried any other output tubes yet as I find most times...
  7. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

Here are a couple of pics of my SCA35. I have Sylvania Gold 6U8A tubes in the driver positions and JJ EL84's in the power stage. I have tried a couple different brands of 6GH8 tubes and don't care for the sound, any 6U8 I have tried seems very nice. Greg B
  8. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

I did leave them as my ears are not what they once were and I find on some amps I need them but so far I have not touched them and the sound is pretty much perfect to me. Greg B
  9. GregBilodeau

Another SCA-35 rebuild

I just redid an SCA35 with Dave's boards and used all of the original coupling capacitors after verifying them on my Sprague Tel-Omike 6A. Man this is one of my best sounding amps, very happy with it. Greg B
  10. GregBilodeau

Current production GZ34 / 5AR4 Rectifiers?

I have an ST120 and tried a JJ and it didn't last an hour. I have had a new issue Tung Sol in there now and it has a few hundred hours on it with no problems at all. Greg B
  11. GregBilodeau

This memory thing is turning into a problem

Leaving it on for the day is not such a bad thing but leaving it on all the time is a waste of tubes. Every moment you are not there listening to the amp those tubes are wearing out for no good reason. I had a customer bring me an Eico ST70, had all it's original tubes and they all tested good...
  12. GregBilodeau

New to tube amps

Welcome to the tube world! Be careful as this drug is very addictive. I have somewhere around 25 different tube amps and love every one of them and always looking for more. Gregb
  13. GregBilodeau

Tube Rescue

Way more than I ever need Greg B
  14. GregBilodeau

Tube Rescue

I have gone through all of the boxes now and sorted them into groups so now have to start confirming the correct tubes are in the boxes and if they are NOS or not and start testing, this could take a while. I ended up with 32 of the WE Krypton gas tubes, I would assume they are no good anymore...
  15. GregBilodeau

Tube Rescue

I can barely move in the shop/equipment room with all these tubes all over the place. Once I get some of it organized and put away I will be trying these 6550's out for sure. I was going to try them in my Altec A340's but one of them is sick at the moment and I have not had a chance to look at...
Back
Top Bottom