Recent content by grindfix

1. grindfix

Tutorial: Tube amp build with layout steps and adoption of PCB circuit to point-to-point wiring?

The following suggestion is obvious for most people here but may help beginners to avoid disappointing mistakes. Drilling large holes in sheet metal, with step drill bits can be difficult. Bit binds so using a wood block below the metal helps reduce binding. Trick is to make sure that the next...
  2. grindfix

Voltage drop problem

Sounds like a winding problem, unless the regulator source voltage doesn't drop too. Can you build this load externally and power it from the regulator source with the original circuit disconnected?
  3. grindfix

6V6GT PPP monoblock build

Do you know what year that took place?
  4. grindfix

Snap, crackle, pop.

Regardless of the original problem, capacitor in question has a positive leg bent at the angle where it could touch the capacitor body. It is insulated but good practice is to bend the negative leg and leave positive away from the capacitor body. In OP’s case it’s the opposite. Maybe not what’s...
  5. grindfix

Denon DP-62L issue after not using table for 6 months

I have not tried to adjust anything on this unit. The fact that it worked perfectly fine the last time it was used makes me think that even if arm adjustment will make it work, that is a band-aid and there's a problem. On the other hand, if adjustment makes it work, I'd know that it's likely a...
  6. grindfix

Snap, crackle, pop.

Color bands appear to be different on cathode resistors between channels. Any info on why?
  7. grindfix

That's not easy for me to tell. There are probably some similarities but I doubt it would be an identical circuit. Was your stop button inactive too? Was your lift working if the lift button was pushed?
  8. grindfix

Newb impedance question

How do you determine that? I believe the original Forte (one) had 2 versions. One with a round and one with a rectangular speaker connection panel. One of them was specified as 4 ohms and another as 8 ohms. Their internals are all the same and I read that was a marketing technique. 2 pairs of...
  9. grindfix

Hello, Denon guys-- The table was not used for at least 6 months. The last time I used it I did not have any issues. Today, I turned it on and played the record. At the end of the record, the arm did not automatically lift and the stylus was skipping in the lead-out groove. This rarely but...
  10. grindfix

Power supply ideas.

Has to be something commercial diesel
  11. grindfix

Power supply ideas.

Wow, scary images. I know birds can sit on hot wire but we are on the ground one way or another. I doubt there will be many suggestions past this point...
  12. grindfix

3:1 setup advice needed

I considered a soundbar solution but I don't think it will work as well as a 3:1 setup. My wife watches TV (or just simply has it on) while cooking in the kitchen, which is open to the living room. The area is too large for a soundbar, I think.
  13. grindfix

Fisher 400 Minimal Required Service

There is no single modification that will get you the most results. Each and every mod that was developed had a goal and if you read enough threads about modifications done to this receiver, you will find that all those goals were achieved. You have to decide what makes it worth it to you. I...
  14. grindfix

3:1 setup advice needed

I'm not looking for a very high-performance setup here. I have a dedicated HT setup in the basement for movies. This one would be a living room setup, mostly for my wife to watch TV shows and occasionally, stream music. The receiver I have for this is Sony STR-ZA3000ES. I was thinking of trying...
  15. grindfix

Solen film cap reliability ?

I have 12uF 630v as C1 in my Hammond Stereo amp if you remember that one. I don't use that amp a lot but I probably have 150 hours on it and no issues so far.
Back
Top Bottom