Recent content by grottyash

1. G

$1,000 to $1,500 to spend - what to upgrade? Where to start?

The OP already has a good cleaning system. Putting all the money into new speakers would be a good idea. I wouldn't worry so much about the amp.
  2. G

Thorens TD160 or TD145

As above, but even better, go for a TD150. It is a better turntable.
  3. G

Picked Up a Sony PS-LX3 for $16

It's an ok turntable. If you have a quality amp/receiver and speakers, move on. You should be able to make a profit.
  4. G

Which ADC for vinyl ripping would you recommend?

I use the Behringer. Cost is peanuts, but quality is really good.
  5. G

Can sound degrade in a older TTs circuit board?

The only circuit board in a turntable controls the speed. Therefore, other than speed variation/inaccuracy they can't affect sound quality. Apart from where the wires are soldered to the RCA or DIN connector, wires more or less a straight run through from the cartridge to the preamp. Quality of...
  6. G

Recommended Vinyl Cleaning Solutions or Methods

Are you aware how wetting agents are used on film negatives? They are usually wiped carefully after the final rinse to remove the moisture, then left to air dry. As to the dust on negs, there are many factors, mostly environmental but sometimes procedural, that can cause this, including the...
  7. G

Yes, as I've mentioned several times. Do keep up :)
  8. G

Are you sure?? No-one in their right mind would use glycol on film negative as the final rinse in the cleaning process. Also, it's recommended dilution for negatives is 1:200, so sticky it isn't ever going to be even if it does contain glycol. I've use both it and ilfotol, without seeing any...
  9. G

NAD PP4/PP3 USB to DAC

You'll need an ADC, which you can pick up cheaply enough on Amazon. That's what I use, and it works well.
  10. G

Photo Flo a wetting agent, designed to reduce surface tension so film, which is air dried, doesn't get water spots. It leaves nothing on the film, at least, that is the idea. As I mentioned, ordinary washing up liquid does the same, and I imagine the formula for Photo Flo is pretty much the same.
  11. G

Mr Smith is wrong on this one. Photo Flo breaks down surface tension in the same way detergent does, and, in fact, you can use detergent as a substitute in developing film. Its big advantage is that it is designed for the rinse, and is streak free, so should be ideal for records. E.Man, one or...
  12. G

Respectfully, I must disagree. Depends on the efficiency of your RCM, perhaps, but mine, a pro-ject, finishes the entire process to dry in 90 seconds, so there's no point in rinsing. Also, when you say soda, do you mean soda water, as in carbonated water with no additives? It's not a term that...
  13. G

Why rinse? The records are dry after the RCM has finished its stuff. There's no residue, all the liquid has been vacuumed off.
  14. G

The classic has already been mentioned: Distilled or demineralised water, IPA and a drop of dishwashing liquid. The most important bit is how you use it, and the RCM is way the best.
Back
Top Bottom