Retired EE

Share This Page

Harryconover

Active Member, Male, 65, from Charlotte NC

Harryconover was last seen:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    1. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      So I did one box and contact cleaner repaired it.Nice sound without scratching noise.I´m so happy:-) On friday I´m going to repair second box, then I have to change bipolars on mids and bass in the xover, but I have to think about which one(22 and15uF) to buy... I think Visaton are ok.And that is all.Have a nice day!
    2. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Thanx a lot, Harry.I saw some in U.S.shops.And not so expensive.But here, in the Czech rep., I can´t get any. I´ll try to use contact spray and I hope it will help.Here is the picture of the wiring. http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm
    3. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      But now this scratching sound is getting even worse.Should I apply some lubricant as well, or is it already damaged?I can´t buy them anywhere.Well I could, but not 8 Ohm pots. Please, could you give me some advice?Thank you very much.
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        Wire wirewound pots are scratchy by there nathure in there feel not sound if there is any effect on there signal then replacing is needed a l
        Aug 30, 2017
    4. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Hi Harry.I´ve got problem with wirewound pots in my speakers.They are 8 Ohm.One is for treble and the second one for mids.When I was turning pots, it made scratching sound.So I put them to 99% isopropyl solution.
    5. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Thank you Harry.I will use standard PU surrounds.I don´t have many choices.But it has to be done by someone whoś more experienced than me.I´m afraid to do it by myself.
      Have a nice day!
    6. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      The material for surrounds is from special PU material, which lasts nearly forever.But maybe I can use "normal" PU surrounds.Bass drivers are from paper and going from 20Hz.I can´t find any similar bass driver in my country.
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        So forever is over , the replacement surround has to be of the same viscopaty to not affect the tuning of the enclosure I think it's measured in stems per centimeter but you have to measure it and manufactures won't tell you so you will have to guess sorry I can't help more !
        Jul 30, 2017
    7. Skagarack
      Skagarack
    8. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        What very special about these drivers ?
        Jul 27, 2017
    9. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Hi Harry, I bought Toshiba Aurex SS-810.Very very nice sounding speakers.But surrounds on bass drivers are a little bit damaged.Do you think, I can get some original surrounds somewhere?Please, could I ask you to do me a favour and take a look around your country?Maybe you know, where to buy them.Thank you very much.Jan.
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        Not familiar with that type of speaker what is the diameter of the bad driver?
        Jul 24, 2017
    10. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        Access to the crossover would be though the woofer
        Jul 18, 2017
    11. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Many thanx, yes I will do it.The main reason of replacing R555,556 is, that the small cooler for voltage stabilizers(Q519,520) is getting very hot.I can put my finger on it for 15 seconds max.So I will try to check it again after replacing resistors.
    12. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Ok Harry, thank you very much again, yes I will check the voltage.But after replacing those fuse resistors ( R555,R556) 10 Ohm.This is the weak point of this amp.
      Someone has replaced those two resistors and DC offset was +-10mV again and buzzing in the speakers has disappeared.
      (I´m hearing some very slight hum in both speakers.(50Hz from transformer).But I have to put my ear very close to the speaker cone).Jan.
      1. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        Good if you have a vareack run your ac up to 120 volts these is high normal , check the temp of those resistors after a hour check the temp if you have a laser type meter , perfect , if not the old put your thumb on it you should be able to stay there for 30 sec if not its tue got
        May 31, 2017
      2. Harryconover
        Harryconover
        Too hot
        May 31, 2017
    13. Skagarack
      Skagarack
      Hi Harry.Thanx a lot for your comment.Everything is ok by now.It´s going up to 20- 30mV.I put new trimmers for DC offset biasing.I think it was some bump to the trimmer before(580mV).I can´t explain this DC deviation.I´m going to change two fuse resistors, it should help to minimize offset as well.(I hope :-).But first I have to order it from some e-shop.Have a nice day.Jan.
  • About

Birthday:
    Apr 21, 1952 (Age: 65)
    Retired EE