Recent content by hillaryj

1. hillaryj

What are my options for this restored SX-880?

Thanks EastPoint, Not sure I want to do that if everything is working as it should to protect my receiver. If I manually override these safety settings, wouldn't I be asking for trouble?
  2. hillaryj

Les, Thanks for your comment. I did play around with the "loudness" a bit before taking the video. With the loudness turned off and the bass and treble set at halfway, I can definitely go higher before things cut out. I didn't like the sound much, though. Seemed much too bright. As far...
  3. hillaryj

Just want to acknowledge how helpful this has all been. I will measure them and hope to find 4ohms (indicating nothing wrong). I would rather be running some nice 8ohm speakers but these are the best I have for now, so I'll stick with these.
  4. hillaryj

Sorry, I revised my comment. I was asking why I should measure the resistance.
  5. hillaryj

just curious... why should I measure the resistance? What will that reveal / help me avoid?
  6. hillaryj

Extremely helpful - thank you all very much. Will I damage anything by playing these speakers at lower volumes, so as to avoid the cutout?
  7. hillaryj

Greeting all. I haven't been on this forum for ages. I had my SX-880 fully restored in June of 2017. Now I find out it cuts out at half volume. I took a video: What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Full story below: Not sure if I should name the...
  8. hillaryj

Don't know what it is, don't know what it's worth

The listing is for the furniture and the receiver, 8-track, and turntable just happen to be included. I am totally unfamiliar with Harman Kardon. THANKS!
  9. hillaryj

CT-F9191 Eating my tape!

Thank you for all the help. Outstanding. My cap is still in tact but it looks like I might have a crack on the actual plastic motor shaft. I guess somebody took off the cap once and lost the cog. The spring is still there, though.
  10. hillaryj

CT-F9191 Eating my tape!

Haha : )
  11. hillaryj

CT-F9191 Eating my tape!

Oh duh!! Thanks TinCanAlley and blueneon. Kind of embarassing. Now where the heck am I going to find one of those? Hopefully somebody is parting one out.
  12. hillaryj

CT-F9191 Eating my tape!

The good: I am really excited to bring home my first vintage tape deck, a CT-F9191 that I got for free from a friend who wasn't using it. I'm still really pumped about it, especially after reading more online about the model. The bad: I have no experience with tape and instantly realized...
  13. hillaryj

What are these worth?

Bates Model 12s. Yes, this is a repost. The other got taken off. I guess I had some rule breaking comments in there. Sorry bout that. Not intentional. These are really large speakers and the flagship model of a company that was here in Minnesota (80s). Each tower has two active 12", 8...
  14. hillaryj

Why do my woofers pulse for "no reason"?

RyBeam - I will try moving the table further from the speakers. Thanks. Scorpion8 - I'm sure it is not a passive radiator. There is only one 11" woofer on these speakers. Nat - I will look into less compliant cartridges. I probably can't "home brew" my own filter because I am not...
  15. hillaryj

Why do my woofers pulse for "no reason"?

I'm trying the "low filter" button. That does help, but it robs from the low end audio a bit. Will a stand alone subsonic filter also do this? The "loudness" button definitely increases the problem. I'll look into the subsonic filters. How do you know which kind you want? Just for example...
Back
Top Bottom