Recent content by Hose53

1. H

Another AR XA TT.

If you are still looking for a cast T-bar give me a shout
  2. H

Another AR XA TT.

What little I can see of the T-bar in pictures 2 and 3 it looks like it is a cast T-bar. If you remove the platters and take pictures from above we may be able to confirm Seized, it does sound like it is a stamped version but a stamped T-bar, the ones I am familiar with have ridges running...
  3. H

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Grace cartridges are really nice, I have an F8 and 2 F9. Might check around to see if anyone is still fixing them. I know of Soundsmith but there have been posts about health issues. Worth researching Edit: I could be wrong about Soundsmith. and there may be others that can repair them. Still...
  4. H

interesting
  5. H

Somewhere I think I saw people recommending to not use any 3 in 1 oil or detergent oil. Granted there are tons of opinions. The sewing machine oil, the oil that cam with an AR table and the full synthetic oil as previously mentioned seems to be the most consistently recommended. I just go by...
  6. H

AR XA Restoration Refurbishment

In addition to replacing the Delrin thrust plate you may also want to polish the bearing at the end of the center platter spindle. Polish it to a mirror finish, we also very lightly add a cross-hatch to the wall of the well and the spindle. In the end the spin down time can approach or exceed 3...
  7. H

Very welcome, make sure to let the first side set up really well before flipping it over. I don't recall him mentioning the HondaBond 4 but if it is thinner he would have had to let it spin longer so it will set up well enough to support the additional material and using the squeegee/piece of...
  8. H

That may have been a post he made earlier. He was always making some adjustments to the processes. When StuartB and I were working with him he only showed us that part using the HondaBond HT. We have Marc's set up where the pully is mounted upside down on a separate device and use a small piece...
  9. H

LOL! Sheesh, I was looking at an image of the Royal Purple and just yesterday was looking at the Purple Power out in the garage!
  10. H

I think Marc's preference was a full synthetic oil along the line of Mobile 1 Full Synthetic x/30, like 5w/30, I think he used a purple power. For both tone arm and spindle
  11. H

My uneducated opinion would be to stay with the one you have. I have an XA, XB and ES-1, all modded by Marc and using the steel ball bearings. Would be interesting to see feedback from others regarding any advantage of one over the other that would make a significant difference.
  12. H

Hello Trasky! Welcome to AK and congrats on the XB! As gregj said this is a good place to get information and good to do as much research as possible to get an idea of what can be done. I'll throw out a few more comments and I am sure you will get more from the good folks found here. The best...
  13. H

Acoustic Research XB Haydon motor replacement

If we do have one here it would be $50, or Stuart has rebuilt them, basically reworking them. We'd have to get his thoughts on what he charges for that. I picked up an XB with a bad plinth, no head shell or cartridge. I could turn that table into a donor table
  14. H

AR XA Pivot bearing parts

If you haven't located any, I may have a couple available. As for Delrin bearings anything that might be available would be used or damaged when removing them. Might be better to replace with jewel bearings. Will send you a PM
  15. H

Yikes! Playdough attack! Looks like top plate is in good shape other than the playdough underneath it! Then the underside! Looks like all the wiring, harness, motor, springs have been covered with playdough. It'll take time to clean it out but looks like that is a good plinth and it has the logo...
Back
Top Bottom