Recent content by House de Kris

1. House de Kris

World's best drummer explains why analog is superior to digital

In case you're wondering what gear the world's greatest drummer uses, the amp is being discussed in this thread. Definitely trustworthy ears.
  2. House de Kris

A day in the life - using the DragonFly DAC...

Just out of curiosity, since you don't think it is worth $100, what amount of money do you value this DAC at?
  3. House de Kris

Soundcraftsmen RP-2201R or RP-2215R or Audio Control C-22?

The Q of the inductor is determined by the undesirable R of the wire used to make the coil. Fatter wire makes higher Q and larger inductors. There's always a trade off. The gyrator can yield an extremely hi-Q, if that's what you're after. Inductors have more noise, just look at the picture in...
  4. House de Kris

So you want to biamp (or triamp) using a DSP eh?

Nice write up Alobar. Only comment I'll add is that the draw for me to active crossovers on speakers is that it eliminates all the garbage between the amp and speakers. Thus, adding capacitors and fuses is not an option to fulfill my goal. I've had bi- tri- and tetra-amped systems since the late...
  5. House de Kris

And what simple truth is being shared here? The truth about what people mistakenly believe how digital works? If that is your aim, I think you've hit on the misconception most people have, that digital is full of jaggies. But, the truth about how these devices actually work is not illustrated in...
  6. House de Kris

Soundcraftsmen RP-2201R or RP-2215R or Audio Control C-22?

You ask a question on the Internet, and you're bound to get conflicting answers. I've never used any of the EQ listed in your consideration. But, I have had an Audio Control EQ (C-101, essentially the same as the C-22 with a rectum anal-izer built in), and a Soundcraftsman preamp/EQ. I would...
  7. House de Kris

Do you have a mouse in your pocket? Who is this "we" that you speak of? So, if a chamber quartet is sitting right in front of you playing a lovely tune, you would be unhappy because it doesn't have the certain types of distortion and a little more warmth that analog gives you (and your partner)...
  8. House de Kris

Burned again, Chinese gear not built to schematic...

Put me proudly in the minority group that has lived in Asia and not lumped everything Asian as the same. The value of Japan's yen and China's RMB are dramatically different, and seems odd that the majority of people would strive to pronounce and write them the same intentionally leading to...
  9. House de Kris

Actually, Japan uses the Yen. China's currency is the RMB.
  10. House de Kris

Digital Technology Collection

Ah, thanks for setting that straight. I hate to pass on misinformation on the Internet. It would seem you are correct, as I could not find any claim of a lack of analog filter in their DAC products. Instead, there is this comment about their CD-1.1x: So, in my text that was quoted, I should...
  11. House de Kris

Digital Technology Collection

Not sure what audiophile magazine BS is being debunked in that article, but the author does do a fine job of contradicting himself at the end in the summary. Whoa, wait. If the reconstruction filter doesn't reproduce those stair-steps, then the stair-steps must have existed in the first place...
  12. House de Kris

It's unclear to me how you can boldly claim that the amp wasn't built to the schematic. If the unit you have doesn't match the schematic you have, that simply means you have the wrong schematic.
  13. House de Kris

Large Scale Speaker Sound.

I've been a fan of larger speakers and the associated larger scale since the 70s. Another descriptive word that comes to mind is 'effortless' sound. Just sounds so at ease and relaxed, no matter what the volume is at the time. And high volume never sounds like it is loud, just big. By...
  14. House de Kris

Interesting cooling solution for stacking components.

I bought an AC Infinity fan a couple weeks ago. It is indeed quiet. I'm quite happy with it. If you are stacking components, it would seem the linked fan is a little small in both width and depth.
Back
Top Bottom