Recent content by invalidbuffa

1. invalidbuffa

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Did a bunch of pruning in my dad's vineyard today. Came inside and taking it easy to the tunes of Midnight Blue on my Klipsch Forte II's (with ALK x-overs).
  2. invalidbuffa

SM-80 power supply/bias diodes...Should I replace them?

Here's a photo. They test fine so I'll leave them alone now...the B+ supply diodes have a Vf of 0.63v, while the ones in the bias circuit measure 1.68v. Seems like the latter are probably Se.
  3. invalidbuffa

SM-80 power supply/bias diodes...Should I replace them?

I'm working on a SM-80 and in the power supply are two pairs of diodes that I am considering replacing as I assume they're selenium. The first pair (in the B+ supply) are Origin branded black discs, labeled SE-0.5A on the schematics, and the second pair (bias supply) are brown drop-style with...
  4. invalidbuffa

How do I remove mouse filth/corrosion from a cadmium plated steel chassis

Thank you all for the tips. Magic eraser is a good idea... The SM-80 is point-to-point wired, so no PC boards (except for the RIAA circuit). I'm mainly looking for advice to improve the condition of the chassis. Here's what I'm up against... Good on Sansui for using screws instead of rivets...
  5. invalidbuffa

How do I remove mouse filth/corrosion from a cadmium plated steel chassis

I'm working on a Sansui SM-80 that was at one point a mouse habitat, and the chassis is stained and corroded in multiple areas. Any suggestions on how to clean it up, safely? (Whoops, the title was supposed to have a question mark.)
  6. invalidbuffa

Polyester crossover capacitors

The originals were oil-filled cans and someone replaced them with sonicaps. I'm not under any illusion that polyesters will restore the original sonics, nor is that my goal, but I expect that they will yield a more balanced response than the polypropylenes.
  7. invalidbuffa

Aha! https://solen.ca/en/categories/solen-polyester-caps-160v/products
  8. invalidbuffa

Polyester is cheaper than paper/foil in oil, and they tend to be manufactured in a higher range of values suitable for use in crossover circuits. Using low-ESR capacitors (such as polypropylene) in older networks that originally employed oil-filled caps, BP electrolytics, or other types with...
  9. invalidbuffa

Yes and no, since ESR is a function of frequency...that isn't to say it's not worth trying. I'm just surprised that it's this hard to find crossover caps in polyester flavor.
  10. invalidbuffa

Axial-leaded would be better, but in either case Mouser and digikey don't stock some of the larger values I need (39uF for example). I desire polyesters for their higher ESR, so placing caps in parallel to achieve a certain value may be counter to what I'm trying to accomplish: taming the...
  11. invalidbuffa

Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing, but would someone kindly point me to a source for polyester (mylar) crossover capacitors? I know companies such as Erse and Bennic manufacture them but I'm unable to find a distributor, except for Crites speakers where you have to buy in packs of...
  12. invalidbuffa

ADC 404

Oh boy, that's what I was afraid of. If anything I'll attempt to remove the back, that way I don't risk fouling the cosmetic side. Looks like the rear panel is somewhat thick...maybe I can build a fixture to pull it straight off using some toggle bolts :idea:
  13. invalidbuffa

ADC 404

I inherited a pair of 404s (non A) from my granddad and they've been sitting on a shelf for nearly 15 years. I just hooked them up to my S-5 K12M 8W stereo tube amp and they sound pretty good, but I'm sure they would benefit from a recap. Any suggestions for getting inside the cabinets...
  14. invalidbuffa

SM-80 NobelCon caps

I'm about to embark on an SM-80 restoration project in the next couple of weeks-It's been collecting dust for the better part of a year and I finally have some time to give it attention. As a start, it will get all new electrolytics and I'll be replacing all of the Suzuki oil caps, most likely...
Back
Top Bottom