Recent content by Ishmael

1. Ishmael

Piece of stage from Woodstock 1969

Very nice. This year we are going on our Miata, Summer of Love, drive down the California Coast Highway. One of our many stops will be the Monterey Count Fairgrounds. We talked with a lady at the fairgrounds and learned that the stage is the same stage used in 1967 when the Monterey Pop...
  2. Ishmael

Classic High-End Gear

Klipsch Klipschorn Sansui 500 (tube receiver) This is the most immediate, you are there speaker I have ever heard. Lost when we down sized from a 15 x 25 foot listening room. It was "the first watt", above 5 watts Gotterdammerung and Guitar Gods strode between the speakers. Sansui 500 we...
  3. Ishmael

“A Modest Proposal”: Remaster, better? No, just different.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Blade Runner So, find music that moves you anyway you can. I have...
  4. Ishmael

Thanks all, as usual great thoughts and conversation from all. My topics question: what, if anything, is being lost in the forever war of formats and re-mastered music? I get it, just as a masterpiece painting needs cleaning, so can the sound of an original master tape have noise, sonic...
  5. Ishmael

But who are we listening to? When do the production values of those creating the "remastered" release become the artist? Picasso can re-image the Mona Lisa, but that re-image is a Picasso, not the Mona Lisa. However when you remaster, you are changing the sound itself, it must sound different...
  6. Ishmael

Every remastered album starts from a source, the original tape/digital file created by the artist. In other words, whatever the format, it was first their performance. Now comes greed. Technology has advanced. The new sound engineers with today’s technology decide they can make the original...
  7. Ishmael

You Can Go Home Again-Sansui 500

I think Rudyard Kipling captured in his poem "Tommy" how little we value what is precious. For us there were still many meeting points as we lived our lives together, even as after the war there was darkness. It is still a comfort, his gift of music.
  8. Ishmael

You Can Go Home Again-Sansui 500

In the mid-60s my brother came back from Vietnam. He brought back many things, some of which (Agent Orange) led to his passing away last year, but for me he brought back the source of my lifelong listening to recorded music. It was so simple, I did not realize then, it was perfect. A Sansui 500...
  9. Ishmael

You Can Come Home Again-Sansui 500 Receiver

The Crown speakers arrived and they are exactly the same as my brother's speakers. One still has the attached attenuator for adjusting treble, but is missing its knob. The other is missing the entire attenuator, but still has the original cabling. Next week we will visit our speaker repair shop...
  10. Ishmael

I can’t believe this. It just keeps getting better and better. As previously mentioned regarding the Pioneer PAX-20E speakers: “Then I read the seller’s description and Déjà vu. They were purchased by a Vietnam Vet at nearly the same time and at the same Japan PX my brother purchased his...
  11. Ishmael

Sansui 500 Receiver-You Can Come Home Again

Thanks all, this has been a revelation of sorts. Is it the tubes? The restored speakers (new cones/voice coils, the glue had dried and coils were loose, tweeter capacitor)? Matching 16 Ohm speakers with the 16 Ohm tap? There is a synergy here. This system loves the human voice, and a wide...
  12. Ishmael

Thanks all, this has been a revelation of sorts. Is it the tubes? The restored speakers (new cones/voice coils, the glue had dried and coils were loose, tweeter capacitor)? Matching 16 Ohm speakers with the 16 Ohm tap? There is a synergy here. This system loves the human voice, and a wide...
  13. Ishmael

Sansui 500 Receiver-You Can Come Home Again

A year ago, an odyssey began, a trip back to the origin of my discovery of recorded music in the mid-1960s. This is the story of my brother’s music system brought back from the Vietnam war. A Sansui 500 receiver, Dual turntable and a pair of co-axial speakers that laid on the floor (we never got...
  14. Ishmael

A year ago, an odyssey began, a trip back to the origin of my discovery of recorded music in the mid-1960s. This is the story of my brother’s music system brought back from the Vietnam war. A Sansui 500 receiver, Dual turntable and a pair of co-axial speakers that laid on the floor (we never got...
  15. Ishmael

Origins-Sansui 500-memories

Thanks spantou01, it will be interesting to see how the 8 ohm tap on the Sansui 500 drives my 8 ohm Spendor A7 speakers, hope they will be happy with each other. If not I have a pair of recapped KEF REF 104 speakers to also try from the 70s. Originally this system included a Dual multi disc...
Back
Top Bottom