Recent content by j-man

1. j-man

Thorens TD126

Quick update. The TD115 Philips motor I got from the Bay worked perfectly on the TD126 MkIII. Let's hope it will last.
  2. j-man

Revox B790 Variants

Chartz, I'm so sorry, I read your post just today... If you're still interested let me know with a PM and I'll send you a small ZIP with all the related files.
  3. j-man

Thorens TD126

Quite right. I just opened a TD-126 MkIII motor with a broken tacho winding... no way to fix it because it's firmly glued to the bottom cover. There are some used motors on the bay, but they're gonna fail as well, sooner or later. To complicate things further, I read that Thorens changed three...
  4. j-man

Zappa - Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, Waka / Jawaka, One Size Fits all, Overnight Sensation, and

From the CD liner notes: "The 1988 road band self-destructed before U.S. audiences in the South, Midwest and West could hear it perform. It was, however, heard and appreciated by East Coast and European audiences during its brief existence (four months of rehearsal in 1987/88, followed by a...
  5. j-man

Pioneer SA-6300 Renovation

Ok, I replaced Q4, Q5, Q6 and Q7 with BC559B. I bought about fifteen transistors and I selected two pairs matched as well as I could. Now I read 10/11 mV on TP1 and TP2: the amp seems working fine but I wonder if it's the right value, or if I should raise it to 30 mV. I can't find anything...
  6. j-man

Pioneer SA-6300 Renovation

@Peter On the schematic diagram the lamp is marked "8v 30mA". I had a 9v spare lamp, I connected it and it worked right on the spot. @Gino_Gino I've just replaced the output transistors as well. I used BD243C and BD244C: "C" stands for 100 volts max rating. "B" would probably have been a better...
  7. j-man

Sony PS-FL1 Anybody/

Updates. The infamous lamp burned out: I didn't got a suitable spare, so I replaced it with a LED I took off a laptop backlight strip... with a 1 kohm resistor in series, of course. Seems working pretty well, the white light is really nice. Probably I should have put two LEDs in series, but I...
  8. j-man

Sony PS-FL1 Anybody/

Thanks. You confirmed the informations I found on the net. I got this TT for free and I was planning to sell it or give it away. I'm so happy with my Revox B790, I don't really need another TT. But I'll probably try to take apart the XL-150 from its shell and see what happens... ;)
  9. j-man

Sony PS-FL1 Anybody/

A couple of years ago I got a PS-FL1 that needed some care... After a bit of maintenance (bulb replacement, gear sync, general cleanup and lubrication) it started working again. It's a well-built device, IMHO, with a weak spot: the cheap built-in XL-150 Sony cartridge. My stylus is probably worn...
  10. j-man

Offical Frank Zappa Thread

The first FZ song I listened to was "Peaches en regalia" on the Italian radio, in the early 70s: it was the title music of the afternoon rock programme, and I loved it at once. Later a schoolmate bought "Overnite Sensation", but it was too hard to understand for non-English-speaking teenagers...
  11. j-man

Revox B790 Variants

I quote everything Dale wrote six years ago, just adding that the Bulletin infos have been included in the latest service manual: you can tell it because it's printed in color, and there are orange pages between chapters. Go to page 48, they noted all the modifications applied until 1982 to the...
  12. j-man

Revox b790

Chances are it's a mechanical issue. It's built in two separate parts: the push button and the actual switch. Sometimes the button's lower frame moves slightly out of its place and the switch gets stuck (I'm sorry, I find it hard to explain in English...). The whole front bar is easy to...
  13. j-man

Calling on the Bang&Olufsen Experts!....Which Turntable models..

4004 Last year I found a cheap B&O 4004 on eBay: I bought it and carefully restored it. It's been a really hard task, and it's not over yet (some speed issue) but I can confirm that it's a fantastic turntable, built like a tank and with an amazing look. To my ears, the original cartridge...
  14. j-man

Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4004 Restoration

This one? I had some issues with it, but I managed to get it working. If you describe precisely where it's broken, maybe I could help.
  15. j-man

Who Throws Audio Gear Away

It's easy to imagine the scene… They plugged in the Thorens, heard a loud CRACK, saw the smoke and the smell and said "oh, it's dead. Let's trash it". For a technician is easy to spot that kind of issues, much less for the average user.
Back
Top Bottom