Recent content by jazzmans

1. jazzmans

My Speaker Journey... the ongoing saga of jazzmans system

Update: I've had them thirty days today. currently, I'm driving the maggies (3.7I) with a Carver TFM 42, as my pro amps are still in the shop,and I worry that the fosi za03, even in mono won't be powerful enough. I do plan to buy a pair of the fosi v3 monos and try them out on the maggies...
  2. jazzmans

My Lastest BoseBlose Special: The 4X301 Stack - Whaaat?

to be honest, aesthetically speaking, they do look good like that. kinda a home pa line array look Pretty much as soon as I posted, I figured you'd done a series/parallel wiring to keep ohms reasonable. I can't imagine the comb filter effects that must be going on, however. what series? is it...
  3. jazzmans

My Lastest BoseBlose Special: The 4X301 Stack - Whaaat?

how many amps are you using to drive that impedence nightmare?
  4. jazzmans

Fosi V3 Not Loud

yeah, I hope so. I love the ZA 03, just want more power.
  5. jazzmans

The Two Biggest Falsehoods About Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Speakers

pretty veneer! I like light colored wood. be sure and let us know how they sound in comparison to the kef ls-50 meta.
  6. jazzmans

Final Audio electrostatic speakers

edit, 'cause I misremembered, they were Wisdom Audio, not Finale. sorry.
  7. jazzmans

Magnepan LRS and LRS+ Tips, Tricks and Mods

uh, in fifteen years I've blown one fuse. you need bigger maggies, or your amp is doing bad things. and yeah, ricky lee jones WILL do it. that voice though! I particularly love her on Rob Wassermans album Duos, doing the moon is made of gold.
  8. jazzmans

I should have mentioned, I do drive the maggie 1.6QR with a Fosi Audio ZA93 to very loud levels, and it's CLEAN. These chip amps are an incredible value, in my opinion, and are a great replacement for virtually any vintage receiver
  9. jazzmans

Need advice on replacing Magnepan MG-IIc tweeter

yup, that looks like a break. you can, as a super cheat, just jump that break with wire, or defroster repair kit, as a temporary fix, to see if the rtweeters play again, but expect there's other points of corrosion that will fail eventually as well.
  10. jazzmans

Agree with Blue Shadow, but we are fighting a losing battle, as many call the amt tweeter a 'ribbon' or the EMIT a 'ribbon' or the Bob Carver 'Ribbons' or B&G ... etc etc. the simplest way to understand the difference is, a ribbon tweeter is not bonded to any substrate, like mylar, or kapton...
  11. jazzmans

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

I usually bought lps, and would immediately rip them to maxell chrome cassettes for daily use. this only changed when I went off to college, and no longer had access to dads high fi, so for a short time, I only bought cassettes. Luckily, I made the shift to cds in the early nineties, when cd...
  12. jazzmans

Multiple amps driving systems from a single input?

All I have to say is: Balanced outputs RULE! my 'bedroom' system uses a bryston pre with dual balanced outputs, I have a 100' run from there to my 'living room' system, (also a bryston pre with balanced inputs and outputs) and also feeding my pro amps, which also all have passthrough balanced...
  13. jazzmans

Apt Holman preamp....anyone familiar with it?

Weird, for some reason when I clicked reply, it doubled my previous post. anyway, infrasonic filter was originally designed for turntables, iirc. to stop that low end rumble. It's been a long time since I had a turntable though, I could be misremembering.
  14. jazzmans

Apt Holman preamp....anyone familiar with it?

matrix style surround. requires two preamps, but use one set to difference, and feed that signal to the rear speakers, and woilla, instant surround sound.
  15. jazzmans

What to drive new Magnepan 3.7i's

I am currently driving my 3.7i with a carver tfm-42 and the maggies eat up every bit of power the carver can output. eventually I'll try the fosi V3 monoblocks, and if that doesn't do it, I'll put back in both of my Carver PM 350s in bridge mode to drive them. in bridged mode it outputs 900...
Back
Top Bottom