Recent content by jcluger

1. jcluger

Canton tweeter/crossover issue

Thanks again James! I've put in an order and for the caps and binding posts. I also found a single 2746 on ebay and snagged that too! I'll report back when the project is complete to let you know how they sound.
  2. jcluger

Thanks for all the detailed info! I don't see any melting on the 2097 coils... I'm looking on parts-express now and this will be my first time ordering individual caps (apart from the pre-organized set I bought off ebay when I recapped a Bose 901 equalizer). I'm looking at the Jantzen caps but...
  3. jcluger

Thanks for the reply! I was able to try the "good" tweeter alone on a low power source and it did produce clear music. Putting it back attached to the crossover, with the other driver disconnected, it was also able to create music, although very very weak (volume turned past 12 o' clock in order...
  4. jcluger

I’ve inherited a pair of Canton GL-260 bookshelf speakers. I plugged them in and had no sound out of the tweeter in either speaker. I removed the tweeters and tested with multimeter. One shows a normal resistance of 4 ohms, the other one is bad and had no continuity. I put the one which tested...
  5. jcluger

Preamp recommendation for Moscode 300

A Minuet would be nice, but yes, tough to come by and therefore expensive! Jeff, yes Sansui made a couple decent preamps, I was just seeing if anybody else had found any magic synergy with any other specific pieces I should be searching for. In the meantime I'll just enjoy it as is. Thank you...
  6. jcluger

Preamp recommendation for Moscode 300

I’ve recently purchased my first tube (hybrid) component after being a staunch Sansui SS enthusiast the last 5 years. Currently using my Sansui AU-9500 as the pre for the Moscode 300, playing through DCM TF-600 speakers. The setup sounds great, but I’m looking to get a separate preamp, ideally...
  7. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

Well, I reheated some of the soldiers and its back working again! Thanks avionic and everyone else that contributed. I’m learning a lot along the way.
  8. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

Thank you so much for clearly lining that out. I was obviously doing it wrong before, I got a proper reading of about 20.6 VAC on both of those connections doing it as described. Transformer is good it seems. I guess I'll just heat up each of the solder joints downstream of that in the power...
  9. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

I may be taking the readings wrong, as I said I am new to most of this, but I have a reading of 119 VAC going into the primary side of the transformer but nothing coming out of the secondary side. Assuming the transformer is good, which of these solder connections should I be playing with? Pic...
  10. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

After more testing it seems the transformer is dead. Anybody know a model which would fit in the tight space and has proper voltage? I have the 110V Series IV EQ. I've never worked with transformers before so I am completely ignorant to options or ratings. Should I have a fear that the...
  11. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips! It is both channels at once. I did replace the power supply caps. It's plugged into the switched outlet in the back of the amplifier... Now that you mention that, it only started having these issues in the past couple months since my wife has been working...
  12. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

I did, I exercised all controls and unplugged/replugged all cables.
  13. jcluger

Bose 901 Equalizer issue

I’ve had a set of Bose 901 series IV for a few years now. Got them cheap and did the refoaming myself, overall have enjoyed them. A couple months ago I started having an issue where the equalizer stopped working for a couple days at a time. I would have to deselect the tape mode on the receiver...
  14. jcluger

Infinity RS 2.5 and Sansui 9500 score

I did not get the outboard crossover unfortunately, so bi-amping is not an option with these yet. Thanks for the tips for the replacement woofers guys! I was wishing for some perfect and easy drop-in option I'd never heard of before but I wasn't getting my hopes up for it being that easy. I'll...
  15. jcluger

Infinity RS 2.5 and Sansui 9500 score

So I've been working on this lead for the past 5 months. I was lucky enough to hear about a Sansui AU 9500 and TU 9500 combo stored in a barn out where I used to live in CO (I currently live in FL). I was finally able to make a road-trip out that way last week and met the owner and worked out a...
Back
Top Bottom