Recent content by jcmjrt

1. jcmjrt

Looking for Subwoofer Advice

Yes and it should match...but I was thinking that I would get better value by diy or buying from the manufacturer rather than an audio dealer...
  2. jcmjrt

Could you elaborate? Have you heard any of these compared to a dayton or just generally think they are great value or...? Any specific model?
  3. jcmjrt

I'm helping a friend set up a system. She has B&W 685s and a Marantz SR5008 to drive them. The system supports both the TV and enjoying tunes but playing music is the more important of the two. B&W 685s are bookshelf ported speakers. She leans towards funk and R&B - say like MJ Blige or Earth...
  4. jcmjrt

Best capacitors for McIntosh MC30?

I rebuilt mine primarily with sonicaps and was very happy. You can get them from soniccraft.com DShoaf is correct though; the power and bias supply should be rebuilt first. I did not rebuild my Mc30's with illinois caps but did try them in MC-240s and thought they were a little grainy. I chose...
  5. jcmjrt

Need tube chassis ideas: sturdy, big, enclosed

I think some people need to review this sticky on the forum "READ THIS - Buy, Sell, Trade, Including FREE" Bartertown, classifieds, e-mail or a personal phone call are all wonderful ways to exchange gear/money.
  6. jcmjrt

Power supply filter caps

Here are some polypros that were developed with being power supply caps in mind: http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/34
  7. jcmjrt

Build or buy???

I don't know anything about your speakers but efficiency and load do make a big impact on what amp will work well. $250 is a limited budget but IF and I say IF your speakers are efficient (90 db and preferably higher), you could look for a single ended console amplifier which needs some...
  8. jcmjrt

MC240 hum

In my experience of rebuilding two MC240's, they will hum if the power caps are not VERY well grounded. In the move you could have cracked a solder joint so small that you can't see it but still make the power supply hum. If you have a good (read powerful in this case), recommend that you reflow...
  9. jcmjrt

Coupling cap sound changes? (Dynaco ST-70)

If you like the increased clarity but are somehow missing something with the orange drops (which are decent caps and you should consider letting them break in well before making decisions), then you might want to go with the Russian oils as has been suggested but also buy some of the small...
  10. jcmjrt

DIY TT Kit

Where'd you get the kit?
  11. jcmjrt

Best caps to replace ceramic coupling caps in Voice of Music amps (1448/1428)

If you like working on your own gear - try putting in the pios for the coupling caps and then go back later and bypass with small value teflons and see what you get. I've done it before and been very satisfied with the results.
  12. jcmjrt

Do I Need a Tube Line Stage?

I don't know if you need a tube preamp but I've enjoyed the ones that I have. Both kits - Hagerman and Bottlehead are quality products. I heard both and built the Hagerman but some folks who heard both preferred the Bottlehead so it's a matter of taste. I thought the Hagerman was more dynamic...
  13. jcmjrt

Telefunken Concertino 9U

I've been looking at a German radio - the Telefunken Concertino 9U - and contemplating a purchase/rebuild but this radio is missing its schematic. A couple of things - has anyone heard this radio? It looks pretty decent and is a single ended 6bq5. The person selling the radio hasn't ever...
  14. jcmjrt

Leak gear

If a Leak amp came up in my area for a reasonable price, I'd have to give it serious consideration as they have a wonderful rep. I've never been lucky enough to hear one. As I remember(and that is getting worse every single day), there is a yahoo groups on Leaks.
  15. jcmjrt

McIntosh Mc240

Best is in the ear of the listener but the MC240 is a very nice amplifier. Do have it recapped - at least the power/bias supply and coupling caps - new diodes and out of spec resistors. You need to do this not only to get better sound but also to make it safe for the amp and yourself. You...
Back
Top Bottom