Recent content by jcolletteiii

1. jcolletteiii

Show Me Your Sansui!

hmmm... see them now?
  2. jcolletteiii

Show Me Your Sansui!

Finally here. Took top and bottom off to give it a quick once over before powering up to see if anything looked abnormal. Some caps marked, so it's had some work done, but looks original and unmolested. A great canvas. Changed out the LED's that were in the meters with orange for now. It's in...
  3. IFF_8634

IFF_8634

4. IFF_8632

IFF_8632

5. IFF_8627

IFF_8627

6. IFF_8626

IFF_8626

7. IFF_8625

IFF_8625

8. jcolletteiii

jcolletteiii

jcolletteiii photos
  9. jcolletteiii

Best Vintage Preamp

I have had: A couple of Carver's, including a C-1, a Conrad Johnson PV-6, an Audio Research SP-3A1, and a McIntosh C-24. I rebuilt or tested the power supplies in the C-24, the ARC, and the PV-6. The PV-6 was an insult to all of the music I played through it - an NO, there was nothing wrong...
  10. jcolletteiii

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Luxman Pd-444 or Pd-441. Done.
  11. jcolletteiii

Gold Lion KT88 Alternatives

Just to be clear - I am not talking about the vintage 6550As - the straight sided bottles. I've not had those in my personal system, but I have not heard too many good tings about them.
  12. jcolletteiii

Gold Lion KT88 Alternatives

I know you said KT88 types. But... If you keep your eyes peeled around ebay, you can score individual Tung Sol 6550's (a variety of brand names, but the ones with diamond shaped upper micas are all TS)... they do not need to be matched, just look for good, large, shiny, round getter flashing -...
  13. jcolletteiii

Luxman owners...

I think I cleaned the microswitches on my 277 and that fixed the issue right up. My favorite piece of Lux gear. PD-444 dual arm table. Best vintage DD TT ever made IMO, but the 441 aint no slouch either. I also love my Lux AD8000 and 8020 MC step up transformer.
  14. jcolletteiii

Thinking about MC cartridges

Some folks have suggested a separate phono preamp. I went that route and found it unsatisfying and unnecessary. A good preamp will generally have a good phono stage (as long as you don't get something from the mid-CD era. If you get a LOMC, then you may need a step up device. Many good vintage...
  15. jcolletteiii

Thinking about MC cartridges

Whatever you do, just make sure the cartridge compliance is a good match to your arm. If you've not evaluated the resonance frequency of your arm, try the resonance freq evaluator on VE - start there first and see what sort of compliance to look for in a cart. You can find the effective mass of...
Back
Top Bottom