Recent content by Jeff449

1. Jeff449

Do you have two turntables set up for different reasons?

One upstairs, two downstairs. Downstairs is my good system. One TT for VG and above records, the other (with removeable head shell) for worse condition records (MM w/ cheap aftermarket stylus) or mono (Mono cartridge).
  2. Jeff449

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

I don't need volume or balance control either.
  3. Jeff449

Just Found My Dad Had A Sl-D202 and need to replace the needle

https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSRXT4.html
  4. Jeff449

New guy getting into vinyl

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=826 4826-DEL Pfanstiehl Swiss Not as good as others, but affordable.
  5. Jeff449

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

I'd love to see a picture of that setup, especially the sonotubes.
  6. Jeff449

What SACD player do you use?

Music Hall Maverick. I use the analog output for 2 channel.
  7. Jeff449

Ultrasonic Cleaner? "get off the fence"

I spin clean my records and air dry afterwards also. I find that my vacuum wand can leave debris on the records causing clicks. I use Tergikleen in my ultrasonic solution and that company recommends a distilled water rinse.
  8. Jeff449

Turntable side by side: Thorens vs. Technics- Tracking Issue

FWIW I had an issue with the dampening trough on my 1200mk2. The "fin" was hitting the bottom of the trough and lifting the stylus off the record in the middle of an album side. This may not be your issue, but I think it was worth mentioning. I fixed it by remounting the trough and lowered vta.
  9. Jeff449

Grounding yourself — static issues and what to touch

I prefer not to zap my own equipment by discharging to a chassis. I touch the nearest light switch before touching my gear. Specifically, the faceplate screws on a light switch should be connected to ground. Those screws should be at the same potential as the chassis of any other electrical...
  10. Jeff449

Maryland Member Mooreslaw

Welcome from Wheaton, MD
  11. Jeff449

What is on this stylus? - that blob cleaner residue?

You don't have enough magnification to determine how worn your stylus is. The stylus looks clean enough. The tan blobs are not going to contact the groove, so I wouldn't worry about them. It is only the microscopic tip that engages with the groove. If you have everything set right (alignment...
  12. Jeff449

Old Records with Dimples

Ultrasonic cleaning can make pimples grow. It happened on a record from the 1950s that I have. There were about 20 on this record, and they grew from about 1mm diameter to 2 to 3 mm. They make pops when I play the record. Now I inspect my records before I US clean them. I use water heated to 36...
  13. Jeff449

Stylus or cartridge upgrade?

Definitely replace the stylus. You don't know how worn that stylus is. If it is very worn, it will damage your records. Your cartridge is likely better quality than a $40 new one, and cartridges themselves don't "wear out." An elliptical stylus may sound a little better than a conical.
  14. Jeff449

Capital Audio Fest, Nov 10-12, 2023 - Rockville MD

It will be fun for you I'm sure. Keep in mind that most of the systems will be set up in less than ideal situations (room size and speaker placement). Try to sit in the "sweet spot" when you can (centered between the speakers). I went a few years ago. Most everything was out of my price range...
  15. Jeff449

Vinyl to Digital: ADC

1. Yes, my impression of the USB turntables is that they are low quality. If you already have a decent TT, use it. You have to have a good turntable. A good vs. crappy TT will make a bigger difference than a good vs. crappy ADC IMO. 2. Never used one. 3. Not familiar with that unit, but it seems...
Back
Top Bottom