Recent content by jheu02

1. jheu02

Classic NAD pre-amp connect to Class D amp

I see 0.775V or 775mV. Besides, the NAD volume control setting will determine its output voltage into the ZA3. The NAD isn't ALWAYS putting out 2-3V.
  2. jheu02

Suggestions for an especially detailed power amp under $1000, new or used?

It was the first word that came to mind, but facetious might be a better term.
  3. jheu02

Pioneer SX-636 vs. Harman Kardon 330B

Any speaker is suitable for playback, vinyl or not. The bigger question for you is how loud do you want it to play, and how low (frequency) do you need it to go? IF you need very low frequencies, and or very loud volumes, you'll generally need a larger speaker with high excursion and large...
  4. jheu02

Suggestions for an especially detailed power amp under $1000, new or used?

I think you missed the sarcasm.
  5. jheu02

The ZA3 is a power amp with volume control. You won't clip the input any more than any line level source would. it's meant to be driven by a line level source. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH USING AN EXTERNAL PREAMP WITH THE FOSI.
  6. jheu02

Asking for Amplifier troubleshooting help. Proton AA-2120

You say "put it back as is". What does that really mean...you put the weak old bulbs back in? Left the solder pads open? I'm not familiar with whether there's sockets for the bulbs or whether you had to solder wire leads directly from the bulbs to the pads. If the latter, the trace may be...
  7. jheu02

When using a separate preamp with the Fosi, just turn the Fosi's volume knob all the way up. Your preamp now controls the volume, and you get all the inputs of the preamp. Have run several different pres into my Fosi. I've also run CD players directly to the Fosi, but then have to use the...
  8. jheu02

Pre amp help

Looks like you should have titled the thread, "Luxman preamp help" or "Help me decide which Luxman preamp to get". Seems you're only interested in that brand. Nothing wrong with specifically wanting one brand, BTW, but it might limit you a bit more than you want. By letting us know what...
  9. jheu02

Optonica SA-5406 in protection mode

Well, guess you knew where to start! :rflmao: It's not uncommon to see larger pads where multiple components connect, to have solder blobs bridging all the leads. From the pic it does look a little excessive, but I can't zoom in enough to really tell.
  10. jheu02

Transistor orientation?

no guarantees, but I like the orientation that analogwisdom posted above. However, couldnt you look at the trace of the known side and see what component each leg of it's transistor is connected to and make sure the way you insert your replacement matches it?
  11. jheu02

Harman Kardon HK970 "OVERHEAT" at start-up, shuts down

Just a general comment from your third picture. The glue COULD have gone conductive and or corroded parts it is in contact with. That's where I'd start anyway. And then the usual obvious things like looking for heat stressed areas of the board near high wattage resistors, transistors, bad...
  12. jheu02

Bad cap?

No. Could be leftover flux from during manufacture.
  13. jheu02

Bad cap?

I would look for signs of heat stress...board discoloration on the component side around larger resistors and or transistors...especially any heat-sink mounted ones, and circle cracks/poor solder joints on the trace side. Need a good magnifier and bright light for this (not for the board...
  14. jheu02

Vinyl only spin list

PBR after Pranqster???:wtf: I know...to each his own....do I need to give it a try after all these years?
Back
Top Bottom