Recent content by JimPittsburg

1. J

Audiophile ear plugs? Any input , opinions?

Have been wearing ear protection for many, many years (decades); for motorcycle riding ( wind noise even in a full face helmet will seriously and permanently damage hearing), music concerts and industrial work. Have tried custom made, wax, silicone and foam... and always gravitate back to Hearos...
  2. J

new HT receiver or pre?

I like the explanation of 2 vs 1 sub.... In my application 2 were necessary.... made a big difference in evening out the sound. It's a very "lively" sounding room with untreated floor to ceiling windows on three sides.... and even in stereo mode the room correction makes a great deal of...
  3. J

new HT receiver or pre?

thanks for the thoughts and sharing the expertise. Budget is around $5K . I'm using two subs in my current system; a HSU vtf-15u and an EMP DSA-250. Large room 20 x 20 with a cathedral ceiling and large doorway into the room. When I built the room I wired it for about anything, so no problem...
  4. J

new HT receiver or pre?

no probs with the 6005, but would like the updated Audussy system.... and thinking maybe buying a "better" unit.... also would like to move up from 7.2 to 9.2 or even 11.2 at some point. System is used for music at least 40% of the time, but no interest in adding a 2 channel pass through pre.
  5. J

new HT receiver or pre?

currently using a Marantz SR6005 as the pre for my HT system ( using it to power the sides and rears of my 7.2 system). I'm deliberating on do I replace it with another receiver, or go to a pure preamp. If I go with a pre, I could use some advice on which one.... If it helps, I'm using KEF...
  6. J

Shure Audio Obstacal Course tips needed

make sure that you do not play the same section repeatedly, it will damage the vinyl/ track. Also, those albums are easily damaged with repeated mistracking on the very loud passages/ torture cuts and will make it very difficult to tell if it's the cartridge or the cut. If you make adjustments...
  7. J

$100 USD Record Cleaning Machine by Canfab3D

Been enjoying this thread on the Squeaky Clean. I've been a Spin Clean user for a number of years now, and have to say since receiving my SC I've retired mine... even started re-cleaning some Spin Cleaned albums with the SC with better than expected results. I'm still trying to find the right...
  8. J

Alright Guys, Parasound Zdac V.2 VS Schiit Bitfrost With Uber Analog and USB?

I tried five other DACs prior to the Bifrost Uber/ USB, including the Jolida, Peachtree and the Focusrite... no comparison. The Bifrost Uber is crystal clear without any noticed artifacts nor shrillness. The sound stage is the same as my other sources, which none of the others were. It is the...
  9. J

Sound Degrading During Play - HELP!

From your description, it could be something as simple as too much or too little anti skate.... If you don't have one, get your hands on a good test record. A good investment.
  10. J

Tips for buying used vinyl

tips for used vinyl Good tips above.... I'd add two things First, there isn't a reason to buy an album with scratches on it.. nothing worse than the incesant tick, tick, tick to ruin even a great album... Unless its a rare pressing.... If you must buy it, just keep your eyes open for a...
  11. J

Vintage Hi-Fi repair in Pittsburgh PA?

I'll second or third for the work and people at both Galaxie and Vintage Hi-Fi.... great work, honest people and more than fair prices. At Galaxie, I had to force Vince to take a few dollars for the many hours he spent trying to repair a vintage high end Denon TT (RIP) for me.... And nothing...
  12. J

Having problems aligning cartridges

If you can get get your hands on a copy or buy one, the Hi-Fi News Analog Test Record is great for setting anti skate and for checking alignment including azimuth. Also, you should consider buying a cheap digital scale...
  13. J

replacement for JRC4560D op amp

rolling op amps response is as I expected lol but it is has been a pretty cheap and enjoyable exercise..... regardless of what is suppose to or not suppose to happen, it does sound better in my system to both my ears and to those that have done some pretty skeptical and extensive...
  14. J

since they are so inexpensive, I decided to try two additional op amps in the recapped dbx dx5: a OPA2134 and a OPA2604... the 2604 did not work well at all for some reason, the highs just seemed to disappear. But the 2134 turned out to be a great match and even better than the DD.... the 2134...
  15. J

thanks all for the advice and comments. I bought /plugged in a 4560DD and it did make a positive difference without changing the "non cd" tone that I always liked about the dx5 to begin with. FYI, before installing the 4560DD, I put a about 30 more hours on the dbx dx5 recaps, including the...
Back
Top Bottom