Recent content by jjohnson

1. jjohnson

Speaker Binding Post Nut/Caps

Thanks for all of your help guys. I had a buddy that had a bi-wired B & W center channel that was no longer usable and he allowed me to cannibalize it.
  2. jjohnson

Speaker Binding Post Nut/Caps

Good evening all. I haven't been here in quite a while. I just picked up a beautiful pair of JBL 4412 from the original owner. I'm not sure what he was doing to listen to them but he lost the caps for the binding posts. I can't figure where to buy them anywhere. I purchased a set of...
  3. jjohnson

Your guess is as good as mine.

Your guess is as good as mine.
  4. jjohnson

Doughnuts?

I have always love Krispy Kreme when the hot donut sign is on. In the Richmond area, we now have Sugar Shack and it's pretty amazing. When there was only one location, folks were lined up outside the door. They have an amazing Maple Bacon donut.
  5. jjohnson

Proceed PCD and PDP

I owned the transport a few years ago. It sounded fantastic and worked flawlessly. Of course I sold it. By the way, you rarely find one with a remote but any universal will work with it.
  6. jjohnson

Sweet Spot Too Close to the Speakers

As stated, please post pics. I'm a huge fan of Martin Logans as it appears that you are. However, I've heard the Gallos in question and in the room that i heard them, they imaged better than any speaker that I've ever heard. The placement was crazy. It was a huge room and the speakers were...
  7. jjohnson

4311's or Magnepan 1.7's

As others have stated, these speakers are very different. It's almost like asking if you like fried chicken or chocolate cake. They're both awesome but meant to be eaten at different times. I know which I'd buy if I could only have one pair but my ears and musical choices may be different from...
  8. jjohnson

Magnepan MG 1.4 treble questions.

Joe likely has it right. When the bass panels were repaired, the tweeter wires should have been replaced. I'm surprised that either one is still working at this point. Magnepan will sell you a repair kit for the tweeters and it is quite cheap. Unfortunately, half of the work in any Magnepan...
  9. jjohnson

Speaker grill cloth replacement

That fabric looks quite thick. Unless your speaker originally had something like this, I think that the sound would be affected. If you have a Joann Fabric anywhere nearby, they sell a black fabric that they call "utility fabric". They only have black, as far as I know, but it's cheap and...
  10. jjohnson

Vandersteen model 1 any good?

They are excellent speakers, especially for a small or medium sized room. They are pretty efficient and don't require a lot of juice to drive. The drivers integrate well, as many 2-way speakers tend to do. Bass is good, especially considering their small size. If the stands are included...
  11. jjohnson

Usher speakers

I've owned several pairs of Ushers and had some in that I sold for others. The S520 are some of the best small speakers that you can buy for short coin. The BE718 are some of the best standmount speakers that you can buy...period. Everything from fit-and-finish, to driver/crossover, pair...
  12. jjohnson

Pro-Ject Essential II Turntable Deal at Best Buy

I was wandering around the BB site earlier today and ran across the Pro-Ject Essential II Turntable in various colors for $199 shipped to your local store. I don't do the vinyl thing any more but I know that you could do a lot worse for a turnkey turntable that is decent and extremely reliable.
  13. jjohnson

$500 or less amp...what would you look for??

Last week I picked up a Parasound HCA 2200 MKii on Craigslist for $500, which I would think to be about the going rate. It's a 60 lb. beast of an amp that puts out 250 wpc at 8 ohms and was designed by John Curl. It has no problem driving my Maggies with power to spare. You could do a lot...
  14. jjohnson

Who hurts you the most?

I have a hard time with all of Neil Young's whining.
  15. jjohnson

Unsure that a single pair of speakers will ever work for me...

I don't argue with this sentiment at all. I have owned several pairs of speakers that have done everything well. I happen to have a pair of high end speakers that do this now. (Genesis 400) However, having owned many pairs of speakers, I have found some speakers that perform so well on...
Back
Top Bottom