Recent content by JMS

1. J

Yamaha CR 820 looking for speakers that pair well

Back when the 820 was current production we frequently pair it with advents, Genesis Physics II, Yamaha ns670, ns690 and ADS 710 or 810. It paired well with all of the speakers listed. My favorite combo was to stack ns670's and 690's which the 820 handled with no issue. JMS
  2. J

Is Class-D the answer to getting old, and not able to keep lifting heavy amplifiers?

I find myself in the same situation in not being able to lift heavy amps or speakers anymore. For about 6 years I have used 2 yamaha MX-2 amps to drive Yamaha NS-500m speakers and 2 Triad inwall subs. That setup along with acoustic treatments and minidsp could have been my end game system. I...
  3. J

Node volume control kills dynamics-

I will add this for clarity. I am using the node as a transport only and not using it's built in dac. The signal would still be in the digital domain when it passes from the node to the Bifrost 2 dac so there is only be the one volume control in the passive pre. My passive preamp is an LDR type...
  4. J

Node volume control kills dynamics-

Recently I have been upgrading my electronics to include all new Hypex NC252 amps, Bifrost 2, and Bluesound Node in that order. My speakers, subs, passive preamp, minidsp 2x4HD, and YP-D8 TT stayed the same. Everything I did was an upgrade in sound quality until I added the Node. The Node...
  5. J

Ok, how about some more fun...Who here has met any famous music people?

I have another encounter for you. Back in the late 70's myself, girlfriend, and about 20 others that worked for the stereo shop were treated to a private concert by Kansas. They were at the peak of their popularity at the time and were getting ready for a new tour. Unknown to anyone in the area...
  6. J

Ok, how about some more fun...Who here has met any famous music people?

This goes back to before they were famous. Back in the late 70's I worked in a local audio shop and had a steady customer that came in and bought a number of items from me and I knew him as Henry. He seemed to buy only an item at a time and usually knew what he wanted when he came in. One day he...
  7. J

Best used/new stereo power amp under $1,200?

I am a recent convert from 2 highly regarded heavy class AB amps to Hypex NC252MP amps. Sound quality wise the 2 hypex amps are the best I have ever owned. These are small form factor, run cool and are rated down to 2 ohms. You can purchase amps constructed from hypex modules starting from...
  8. J

Please Help Me Recap My Yamaha NS-200M And HPM-60 Speakers

The 200m's you have are well worth upgrading. I had a pair of 200ma speakers that I had planned to redo the cabinets and crossovers but lost interest after purchasing a pair of NS-500m's. I went as far as purchasing all new caps for the 200ma's from Parts Express. The crossovers for the 200's...
  9. J

New audio furniture needs to be damped

I just replaced the table that housed my gear with a larger one and now have some harshness in the sound coming from my turntable that I did not have before. The new table is a mission style coffee table with a 1" thick top and 1" thick lower shelf with heavy legs. The table is made some species...
  10. J

Preamp requirements for Hypex nCore amps

I have answered my own question about a passive pre working with an Ncore amp. It works beyond my highest expectation. I put together a NC252MP from a module purchased on the bay along with a case kit from Ghent. The amp was a little edgy the first 10 hours or so but now I have the best system I...
  11. J

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

They are the silver/nickel variety
  12. J

My 01J has earned a permanent place in my system especially after I rolled in some 1960 RCA 6AK5's I received yesterday. They are a big step up from the Riverstone GE 5654W tubes I have had in service since I received my 01J last month. I have switched out several sources but its a chore to do...
  13. J

Do you own two (or more) of the same amp?

I have and currently use 2 Yamaha MX-2's in my system. One for the mains and 1 for my 2 subs. Love the sound and they are stable into 2 ohms which many amps wont do. Hate to part with them but they are much too heavy for me now so they will be up for sale soon. I am going to take a gamble that I...
  14. J

I have had my 01J for a few weeks now along with a Pyramid PS and it is quite an upgrade to my system. My only complaint is even with the -6db switch I still have too much gain and not much volume adjustment before it gets too loud. I did not try the stock tubes instead installed JAN 5654W tubes...
  15. J

Yamaha NS-35T

I hate those connections. Yamaha put them on several models and I don't know what their goal was. They came on my NS-500ms and I replaced them with silver plated copper binding posts. Take the terminal plater off of the speaker. Those terminals are molded in to the terminal plate and to get them...
Back
Top Bottom