Recent content by JoeESP9

1. JoeESP9

How "analog" can digital music sound?

What is your CD player and what is your streaming player. Also, what is the bit depth/sampling rate of your streaming source? Just curious.
  2. JoeESP9

Multiple Amps and Multiple Speaker Sets

If you're interested in a solid-state amplifier and preamp, check out the Akitika kits. (https://www.akitika.com/index.php) The 50WPC power amp was very favorably reviewed in Stereophile. The preamplifier is a full function design with an optional remote. Optional remote.
  3. JoeESP9

AK Enablers

I believe in quality over quantity. One good system properly set up in a dedicated room is more than sufficient for me. Besides, if I had a bunch of gear laying around, I'd use whatever I thought was the best combination and the other gear would just collect dust. Being a nitpicker and...
  4. JoeESP9

Everything you need to restore a set of legendary Ohm F

:lurk: I'd love to hear how this works out. BTW: Miller Sound (http://www.millersound.net/) in Montgomeryville, PA has a well-deserved reputation for fixing/ rebuilding/refurbishing Ohm Model F's.
  5. JoeESP9

analog vs digital

If you have a hard-wired internet connection via Verizon and it's periodically providing a poor or no picture, I'd be on their back 24/7. I've been a Verizon internet customer for +25 years. I started with a DSL and switched to FIOS (cable TV, land line, internet) as soon as it became...
  6. JoeESP9

L O N G speaker wires versus L O N G RCA cable from pre-amp to amp Pros and cons

An Aphex Aural Exciter!? That would be a big fat no thanks from me. :no:
  7. JoeESP9

Power conditioners Snake oil?

There is a company (Stromtank) that produces "audio grade" battery power supplies. Their TOTL model S5000 is $31K. It's suitable for even higher power, power amplifiers. They also have lower priced models such as the Model 1000 @ $16K
  8. JoeESP9

What are your thoughts on Audyssey?

No one especially me would say that reproduction of music is perfect. It most likely will never be. However, it's called Hi-Fi for a reason. That being, to reproduce with a high degree of fidelity. If high fidelity reproduction is not your aim that's fine with me. However, if it is, using...
  9. JoeESP9

Things you can only hear on your high end systems

I returned 2 CD copies of 14:59 by Sugar Ray because they sounded so bad. After the third one I realized, it was supposed to sound that bad.
  10. JoeESP9

Things you can only hear on your high end systems

I most heartily agree. My original copy has been played maybe twice since bought new. OTOH, I Want A Love I Can See from the Temptations first album (Meet The Temptations) also sounds pretty bad. However, I like and play it (converted to 16/48 FLAC). A lot of early Motown music was not very...
  11. JoeESP9

Power conditioners Snake oil?

IME computer back up power supplies tend to produce lots of noise on the AC output. While they will allow safe shutdown when AC is lost, I'd use them only with appropriate caution. Attach a scope probe to the AC out of an APC and observe the noise for yourself. :) FWIW: I use a Tripp Lite...
  12. JoeESP9

Headphone advice

Most Guitar Center stores keep a number of headphones available for auditioning. If you are near one you might want to check them out. FWIW: I have several pairs of headphones. My preference is for open back over the ear planar magnetic or ESL type. My OTG phones are IE planar magnetic.
  13. JoeESP9

Yes, I'm using my ears to make a judgement call. Not once in the 30+ years of adjusting for flatter in room response using measurements have I regretted doing so. However, my judgment is based on what I hear at live concerts of unamplified orchestral music and the Wannamaker Organ. Adjusting...
  14. JoeESP9

Speakers not working when I plug additional pair in pre-out.

Absolute phase is audible. However, it's easier to hear on certain instruments. Check out Clark Johnsen, The Wood Effect. It's available at that place named after the river.
  15. JoeESP9

Uh, that would be a big fat no. You're still missing my point. What do you do about live concerts? If your hearing is bad enough to need help from an equalizer at home, why does this not apply to a live concert or the rest of life? :dunno: IMO +95% of users claiming they need an equalizer...
Back
Top Bottom