Recent content by TellMeWhy

1. TellMeWhy

Tandberg TCD330 tape skew problems

@mcgjohn, thanks for your helpful reply. I previously had another tcd330 that after 3 years needed another service, although in that case is was most likely my fault as the deck was mostly left standing. The capstan bearing shafts have very little play, and seem fine. As the previous owner...
  2. TellMeWhy

Seems like Mikohm isn't a TH member any longer, from what I can see?
  3. TellMeWhy

Thanks guys. The rubber on the take up pinch roller definitely does have a slight shine to it compared to that of the feed roller. I can imagine that if there's any slipping on the take up roller, the tape tension will goto sh*t and the tape will skew. I will contact TSZ in Germany and / or look...
  4. TellMeWhy

I recently bought a Tandberg TCD330, seemingly in excellent condition. The seller told me the unit had been recapped, cleaned and lubricated around 3 years ago by a top local audio technician and then shortly afterwards calibrated and aligned by Tandberg Zentral Service in Germany. I have the...
  5. TellMeWhy

Mystery Dynaco 3-ways- what are they?

By the way, do yours also have the Scan Speak bass drivers?
  6. TellMeWhy

Mystery Dynaco 3-ways- what are they?

Hey Tom, yeh, they really are great! I've been through numerous vintage speakers, some of them much more expensive, and have come back to settle on these alongside my 2270. Always tempted to buy another pair and try them stacked! They definitely improve if you renew the two small capacitors...
  7. TellMeWhy

Why does my Thorens TD160 turntable sound worse than Spotify?

So, after all this time and quite a few changes and improvements, my vinyl system does sound equally as good (sometimes better than) my digital system. Vinyl is TD160 mk1, TP16, MP110 cartridge / MP150 stylus, and some mods on the turntable (heavy wood base board, Dynamat damped sub-platter...
  8. TellMeWhy

Marantz 2270 noisy bass control when cold

I have a partially restored 2270 that appears to work great. One of its minor quirks is that the bass tone control knob makes a rumbling noise, but only for about the first 10-15 seconds after the unit is powered up. Could this be a dodgy cap on the tone board? Anyone have any ideas? Happy...
  9. TellMeWhy

Help! Thorens TD160 Motor rumble and motor azymuth issues!

If anyone is interested, or has the same issue, indeed the noise was motor rumble, most likely due to the rigid fixing of the motor mounts. I got around it by applying copious amount of Dynamat on the plinth and motor itself. This has damped the chassis really well, and the motor rumble is no...
  10. TellMeWhy

Help! Thorens TD160 Motor rumble and motor azymuth issues!

While adjusting the motor azymuth I managed to over tighten the adjustment screw mechanism so that it now turns in it's housing and serves no purpose. To get around this I found a simple solution by glueing the motor mounts correctly in place with epoxy. Now everything works fine, but I notice a...
  11. TellMeWhy

What are these Dynaco A25 lookalikes?

Thanks! Hadn't thought about the A10...
  12. Dynaco 3

Dynaco 3

13. Dynaco 2

Dynaco 2

14. Dynaco 1

Dynaco 1

15. TellMeWhy

What are these Dynaco A25 lookalikes?

These look very much like A25's in a nicer cabinet, without the treble attenuation pot. Dynaco 1 by Jon_Bawn posted Sep 6, 2020 at 1:00 PM Dynaco 2 by Jon_Bawn posted Sep 6, 2020 at 1:02 PM Dynaco 3 by Jon_Bawn posted Sep 6, 2020 at 1:03 PM Anyone got any thoughts? Cheers, Jon
Back
Top Bottom