Recent content by jonnyglass

1. jonnyglass

Garrard 401 plinth project

I already have the 1/4" BSF hardware on hand, but one thing I am curious about is how the studs are mounted, can they be removed (unscrewed) without disassembling anything, just with a pair of vise-grips I suppose? If so, how deep is the threaded part that they screw into?
  2. jonnyglass

So far the costs have been fairly reasonable (in my opinion), around $250 for the soapstone 2" x 24" x 18" and $180 for the CAD/layout work along with the waterjet cut. Doing another would be cheaper (~$120) since they could use the existing file. So I'm around $450 getting to this point. I...
  3. jonnyglass

Got the stone back today, and it's looking good, damn thing fits! Long way yet to go but this is real progress.
  4. jonnyglass

Thought I'd share the shop drawing from the waterjet company for the plinth, everything is lining-up and I'm very excited... The back arm will be an SME 3009, the right arm will be a Fairchild 281A. The only change from this to the final is making the four bolt holes at .5" to accommodate the...
  5. jonnyglass

NOT 0BA!!!! Anyone looking to match the 401 mounting studs - you're gonna need 1/4" BSF hardware!
  6. jonnyglass

Definitely 0BA - the thread pitch is 1mm just like the 6mm metric bolt, but the screw is just slightly larger. I found a site called (amusingly enough) "britishfasteners.com", gonna order some hardware from them as well as a tap so that I can hopefully use to make a standard 6mm coupling fit...
  7. jonnyglass

As far as I can tell, the studs are fixed and the table needs to be clamped down by screwing in from underneath. I just got back to the hardward store, and it seems like the size is close to 6mm coarse and the nut from the table will fit (loosely) on a 6mm bolt, however a 6mm nut is too small...
  8. jonnyglass

The top of the plinth will be a 2" thick piece of soapstone, the plywood will be layered underneath the stone with maybe a 1/2 reveal between the stone and wood. The studs aren't long enough to go through the 2" of stone.
  9. jonnyglass

Hello, I am starting on a plinth for a Garrard 401, the top of the plinth is 2" thick soapstone which is being waterjet cut to accommodate the 401. I'm sure there will be questions along the way and looking forward to sharing progress as things go forward. First thing I'm realizing is that...
  10. jonnyglass

SUT vs. Gain Stage

Yeah - sorry for the imprecise wording, I meant using a SUT into a MM phonostage rather than using an MC phonostage. RIAA is pretty important as is the additional gain.
  11. jonnyglass

SUT vs. Gain Stage

Yeah, still figuring out the preamp situation which will have some bearing on the final configuration and will need to experiment a bit to see what sounds best. I also have a PS Audio phonostage. If the preamp has a nice sounding phono input, will compare that against the PS Audio with the two...
  12. jonnyglass

SUT vs. Gain Stage

AvFan, I'm still here, reading all the responses. I'm in the midst of upgrading my rig and one of the changes being contemplated is configuring two of the carts with SUTs instead of phonostages. It is very interesting to read the replies and I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on...
  13. jonnyglass

SUT vs. Gain Stage

I'm wondering why dedicated phono stages use gain stages rather than step-up-transformers. From my understanding SUT's are quieter and add less noise/distortion than the extra gain stage. It is a matter of cost? or because matching a SUT to the cartridge is more complicated than just using a...
  14. jonnyglass

Ortofon SPU Thoughts and Experiences

It looks like I'll be around 45g total mass (32.5g SPU GTE, 12.5g SME 3009 Series II non-improved). Based on the charts, seems like it should work OK, from my understanding the early SME arms and SPU's are very frequently used together, though I would be interested if others have had issues with...
  15. jonnyglass

Ortofon SPU Thoughts and Experiences

I am in the final steps of planning a new turntable. It will be a Garrard 401 and the primary arm is a Fairchild 281A, which will have a Miyajima Spirit installed, this will be going through a SUT and then into the rig. My collection is mostly mono old pressings and this will be my second...
Back
Top Bottom