Recent content by jpdylon

1. J

sorry rick, I got rid of those ages ago.

sorry rick, I got rid of those ages ago.
  2. J

The capability has to be built into the player and the player must have discrete 5 channel RCA...

The capability has to be built into the player and the player must have discrete 5 channel RCA outputs. Consult your manual on how to set up the outputs.
  3. J

Replacing Lamps for Sansui 5000

#46 type lamp.
  4. J

Noise cancelling recommendations?

I have the totl sennheiser pxc-450 which has superb noise canceling and is also good as a hi-fi can when used passively. . I used the bose QC2 which was good at noise cancelling and was very comfortable like the senn's. My gripes with the bose were a flimsy headband (always cracked around the...
  5. J

design acoustics ps10 w/woofer rot

Yes, the foam can be replaced. If you search the speaker forums on refoaming or refoam or even 'racoon woogers' You'll probably find what you're looking for.
  6. J

Weird 5000x

You can use two 1n4148 in series per replacement diode - but you have to be really careful that the connecting points between the diodes and the circuit board are well insulated. If any contact is made between the live leads of the diode and the transistor case - the game is over. I haven't...
  7. J

Weird 5000x

That mod is incorrectly done. THe most important thing about the diodes is that their forward voltage drop changes with heat. They are supposed to thermally track the pre-driver transistors and back off the bias when they heat up to prevent thermal runaway. The receiver may work, but don't...
  8. J

SX-1500TD fuse

use a 120v fuse or higher. Using a fuse of a voltage rating lower than what's coming through it can result in arcing when the fuse element opens - resulting in less protection.
  9. J

Sansui QRX 8001 Quadraphonic receiver

they are nice receivers, but unless he has documented evidence that the 4 channel board has been pinned and resoldered I would make sure the price is low and that all 4 channels work. Rebuilding the 4 channel board can be quite costly and time consuming for a tech to do.
  10. J

Qr-6500 sos

Pull the pre-out/main in jumpers for the right channel (front or rear, whichever is misbehaving) and see if the problem remains. If so, the problem is in the power amplifier section. If the problem disappears the failure is in the preamp. The problem is more than likely caused by a failing...
  11. J

Teron - Good Guy!

Another Thumbs up for Teron. He sent me a Macbook laptop in superb condition and professionally packed. Thanks!
  12. J

How do AKG K240s compare to K701/702s?

I would take the 701/702. Although the 240s are good - especially for the portable, I found them to be a little dark sounding. Bass is definitely their strong point, but a little lacking in mids and a little grainy on the top. For the money, the 701/702 are probably the best in AKGs line next...
  13. J

Garrard RC88 Turnrable Sluggish

The sliggish operation may be sticky motor bearings or the worn idler wheel and idler bearing. If the outer edge is hard, you might think about having terry's rubber rollers rebuild it. The price is reasonable and he does extremely good work. Keep in mind that adding oil doesn't always work...
  14. J

Advent woofer, I think it's dying =(

Pull woofers and compare excursion limits with your hand moving them through their complete travel. listen for rub or feel where one stops moving before it should. Could be a damaged former, sagging spider, or improper refoam job with an off center voice coil.
  15. J

Soldering irons

Another vote for the Hakko. Fast warmup, accurate temperature control, long lasting. I've used the 936 for almost 3 years now. Wouldn't buy anything else :no: A real workhorse.
Back
Top Bottom