Recent content by Junknewbian

1. J

Please help ID this ooold Pioneer st-4 turntable?

Hi, I'm the Original Poster of this beauty. I sold it about 4 years ago and shipped it from Western Canada to Pennsylvania, USA. Then I never heard anything further about what happened to it. The Facebook postings listed above are not longer there. I would love to know where this beauty has...
  2. J

Please help identify these speakers

Thank you very much! I have never seen so much detail on a speaker without mentioning the brand. Cheers.
  3. J

Please help identify these speakers

As can be seen in the pictures, they are Young’s, built in 1979, probably in Canada, as that’s where I am. But I can’t find anything on the web, so I’ll ask the greatest collection of audio minds to check your memories. Thanks!
  4. J

Unusual thrift finds you didn’t not buy ?

I passed on a pair of excellent condition Goodmans speakers, because at the time, I had never heard of them. Same store, I saw some B&W's getting ready to be put on the shelf, but since they hadn't been tested or priced, they weren't for sale yet. I went back an hour later and guess what? They...
  5. J

Which Records Do You Use For Speaker Auditions?

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Donald Fagan - Nightfly Bob Marley - Babylon By Bus Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf Eric Clapton and/or Nirvana - Unplugged Buena Vista Social Club 2 Lone Swordsmen - Stay Down
  6. J

"Scores" you later regretted

My regrets often turn into Karma. I lived through Y2K with a relatively crappy modern Kenwood system that played my CDs but sounded very plain. One day I remembered that I grew up with a wonderful Harman/Kardon amp, a Gerrard zero-100 turntable and BIG speakers. I realized I was living with a...
  7. J

Critique and Praise these DIY speakers

I'm not sure there is a crossover. There are two sets of spring plugs on each speaker - one set goes to each driver.
  8. J

I'd go back just for kicks!! Where is this local thrift shop in case any AKers (myself included) wanna pick these up? I am in West Kelowna, Canada - pretty far from New Jersey. But I think I will try to go test them out in the store, if they are still there. Any suggestions on what to look...
  9. J

Someone put in a fair bit of effort and planning, but not a lot of money. I get the feeling they might be a high school shop class project.
  10. J

PS: these are not mine. I saw them in a local thrift shop. I still think they look like the builder has high-tech ambition.
  11. J

I think they look pretty cool, and the design is innovative. I did not get a chance to try them at all, but do you think this design SHOULD work? What I could tell - no crossover, each speaker would be connected to the amp (two sets of connectors for each speaker). The upper drivers are...
  12. J

What item hasn't been improved in your lifetime? Non-audio ideas welcome

The classic Kitchen-Aid mixer (aka Hobart) has stayed basically the same for over 100 years. I used mine today, and it is such a satisfying piece of machinery.
  13. J

Good question. In my mind I had the idea of the egg carton being a thing that couldn't be improved on, but in my heart I had the comedian Chris Rock's observation that (paraphrasing) " no ones trying to solve blindness anymore. They just say "here's a dog to drag your blind-ass around." Jokes...
  14. J

OP here, I use these wooden spoons every day, love them, gift them, teach my kids about them, thank you for this contribution.
  15. J

Yup. Wheel is so perfect it is the cliché. "Don't reinvent the wheel".
Back
Top Bottom