Recent content by kevco

1. kevco

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

Excellent thanks Gordon!
  2. kevco

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

Dave- would it be possible to briefly explain the self healing nature of film capacitors? Not something I’ve heard about before but I’d certainly be interested in learning exactly how that occurs.
  3. kevco

Fisher Coronet Modern

The Electro Harmonix EL84’s may not live long in the SA-16. Even with the (somewhat) controlled warmup of the indirectly heated 6CA4 rectifiers, the power tubes see a spike of grid voltage in these amps on turn-on that will light up the screens long before the filaments have time to heat the...
  4. kevco

Fisher Coronet Modern

Nice work on the Coronet so far. Looks great! The SA-16 has really been overlooked in Fishers’s canon and doesn’t get anywhere the love that it’s fixed bias brother the SA100 gets. It’s a very simple circuit but has great output transformers. Upgrading the caps to something better than the...
  5. kevco

Phono Signal from Tape Out on Pre to Integrated?

Thanks. I don’t think I’ve used a tape out since the early 90’s. I’d actually forgotten that my pre had one so when the thought hit me it was kind of a eureka moment. The integrated isn’t in my possession yet so I was just working through the set up in my head. My pre has output trim pots so my...
  6. kevco

Phono Signal from Tape Out on Pre to Integrated?

Hey all- I have decided to give a DHT SET amp a try. I did quite a bit of shopping and because I have a full function tube pre that I’m very happy with and is quite flexible gain wise, I was looking for a basic amp. What I found that suited me power and price wise was a Bottlehead Stereomore...
  7. kevco

Help ID quad of Dynaco EL34/6CA7 made in Gt. Britain?

Earlier Dynaco silk screened tubes like Dutch Phillips and Mullard had a larger Dynaco screen on them as well. I’ve even seen some with a vertical orientation of the text. Those would have shipped with Mark II monos and would have probably not have been found in a quantity of four tubes as...
  8. kevco

Help ID quad of Dynaco EL34/6CA7 made in Gt. Britain?

Almost certainly Tesla Roznov from late 60's to mid 70's, made in Czechoslovakia. The precursor to today's JJ Tubes. Giveaways are thus: looks like a Phillips Netherlands or Belgium made tube, reddish brown bakelite base and spot welded plates but lacks that tubes distinctive double D getters...
  9. kevco

Any Way to Determine Output Wattage at Home?

I'd like to thank everyone that responded and I apologize for disappearing for so long. I'm in the process of opening a new restaurant and it's consuming the majority of my time. Interestingly enough I've determined that Im using in the neighborhood of 1 to at the most 2 watts for the majority...
  10. kevco

Thanks Bingo! I’ll give it a go! Exactly what I was looking for.
  11. kevco

Ok, I already know this is a tough order but I’m going to try anyway. I’m planning a purchase of a single ended DHT amp or monos. I’m undecided on whether the power output of 2a3 or similar triode will get me the kind of power for my desired listening level, or whether the increased power of a...
  12. kevco

Fisher sa16 advice (my first tube amp}

I have used the L shaped brass adapters on my SA-16 for years and have never had an issue. They hold firm, don't sag and to my ear are acoustically transparent. I also hack sawed a pair to fit cleanly on a Bogen AP-30 integrated amp with great success. I wouldn't worry too much about them as...
  13. kevco

Scarce rectifier tubes...

Any chance that Genelex U77 has a Blackburn `B` code on the glass? I saw one listed in an epay ad once and was clearly a relabled Mullard which while it certainly wasn't a bad thing, showed some outsourcing took place at Genelex too. Come to think of it I've also seen Mullard labeled KT66's and...
  14. kevco

How did you first fall in love with Fisher and what was your first model?

My parents always had music playing when I was a kid. My father was a die hard Pioneer receiver guy (we're talking 70's here). At some point after my parents divorce my new step father came home with a brand new Fisher boom box, a huge one, silver with detachable speakers and a phono stage...
  15. kevco

R.I.P. Kegger

I have been off the forums for nearly a year and only recently came back to AK and other forums. This morning I stumbled on to mention of Kegger's passing on Bob Latinos Dynaco forum and came running over here. I'm very saddened to hear of this terrible news. Kegger was a resident expert on...
Back
Top Bottom