1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice
kevzep
Last Activity:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM
Auckland, New Zealand, Way down in the Pacific
Live Audio Engineer

Share This Page

kevzep

Its all about the Music, Male, from Auckland, New Zealand, Way down in the Pacific

Subscriber
kevzep was last seen:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    1. NikonNick
      NikonNick
      Hey Kev, I have an SX-750 that I bought used & have it connected to a cd, tape and Bluetooth. Runs real nice but has a slight hum when powered on, nothing major and not really able to hear it when music is playing. I only really notice it when powering it down and the hum disappears. Don't know if it has ever been serviced but I suspect not. Something to worry about or is that par for the course ? Cheers, Nick
      1. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi Nick, might just be a bit of mechanical hum from the transformer, however it could also be a number of electrical issues as well....Although really sounds like a normal power up surge from what you're describing....hope that helps...Cheers Kevin
        May 23, 2018
        NikonNick likes this.
      2. NikonNick
        NikonNick
        Thanks Kev...... will live it for now, don't really want to pull it apart it that's the only issue. Now I know you're around will holler if I need it looked at in the future. Cheers
        May 23, 2018
    2. Belmont24
      Belmont24
      Hi, I have an SX1250. She is awesome but a couple of things went wrong with her and she was repaired each time. I haven't used it since. I have heard you are very good so was wondering whether you could check her out. I wonder whether it might be a capacitor issue. I live on the North Shore so not too far from you.
      Cheers
      David
      1. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi David,
        My email address is kevzep@xnet.co.nz.
        I can certainly have a look at you SX1250, I can assess and look at what needs doing.
        I am away this weekend, but if you wanted to drop it off tonight or Monday I am home most of the day, around Lunchtime would be ideal, or in the evening. Let me know, I live just up in Warkworth.
        Cheers
        Kevin
        May 17, 2018
    3. turboduck
      turboduck
      Hi Kevin,

I have a Sansui G7000 and 331 receivers that need some work done. Would you be interested in looking at them?

I live in BeachHaven so not too far away :)
      cheers

Al
      1. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi Al,
        Yep, I can have a look at those, what do you need doing? Tuner alignment (I bet the dial pointer is off a bit)? General service?
        I live in Warkworth which is not too far away, or you can drop at the office in Avondale, I go in there fairly regularly....
        Let me know, email address is kevzep@xnet.co.nz
        Cheers
        Kevin
        Mar 22, 2018
    4. Chris Hall
      Chris Hall
      Hi Kevin - Happy New Year, we are in Knights Rd just up from Beulah, its a small world! I will be heading up Warkworth way fairly soon so could drop it off if you let me know how to contact you, I am not in any hurry to get it back. cheers
      1. View previous comments...
      2. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi Chris,
        Are you still interested in getting the 777 repaired? My real job is slowing down a bit so I am getting rid of these other Sansui jobs around here and could look at it soon.
        email me on kevzep@xnet.co.nz easier than communicating on this message board
        Cheers
        Mar 22, 2018
      3. Chris Hall
        Chris Hall
        Hi Kevin - I got a bit side tracked, but am back in AKL full time now, yes I am still interested and happy to drop it up any weekend that suits or let me know if you are heading down this way.
        Cheers
        Chris
        Oct 8, 2018
      4. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi Chris, Flick me an email on kevzep@xnet.co.nz. I'll be around this weekend, I am not intending on coming to Auckland this week, but if I do I'll let you know. Good timing, I have window to get this done.
        Oct 8, 2018
    5. Chris Hall
      Chris Hall
      Hi Kevin I have an AU777 that I inherited from my Father, he bought it new in Japan on a business trip almost 50 years ago and I'd like to keep it going for another 50!. I have been looking for somewhere to send it for a full overhaul. Do you offer a repair service or if not is there anyone you would recommend in Auckland? I'd really appreciate your advice :) cheers Chris
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Chris Hall
        Chris Hall
        That's great news - I am in Rothesay Bay on the North Shore so would be very happy to drop it off to you at a time that suits - cheers and Merry Christmas!
        Dec 22, 2017
      3. kevzep
        kevzep
        Great, sorry, yeah sometimes I get messages from people in the USA not realizing I am on the other side of the world....so I always have to ask..
        I actually live in Warkworth, originally from Murrays Bay, I used to rent a batch in Beulah Ave in the 80's...anyhoo, yes I can give it an overhaul. I am of course really busy.
        Dec 22, 2017
      4. kevzep
        kevzep
        I do this in between my normal full time job. I have 4 perreaux's for repair, a Sansui QRX8001,777,and 5001 I am overhauling, so a full house at the moment, and at this time of the year i am really busy with my full time job, so realistically it would be sometime about Feb before I could get to it.
        Let me know if that works....
        I come to Auckland regularly so I could pick it up perhaps,whatever works
        Cheers
        Kevin
        Dec 22, 2017
    6. quadklipsh
      quadklipsh
      thanks kevin
    7. quadklipsh
      quadklipsh
      hi
      this is my first pm to you perhaps.
      im a happy owner of a few vintage amps . that all needed restoration. my biggest achievement has been the restoration of sansui AU 9500 about two weeks ago.
      i mostly listen to ALL GENRE esp jazz.

can you give the following amps a rating out of 10....
      KENWOOD SUPREME 600
      LUXMAN L-550X
      SANSUI 9500
      MARANTZ PM-6

thnx and waiting
      1. kevzep
        kevzep
        Okay, I have never heard any of those amps except the AU9500 which as you know, I don't rate particularly highly.
        Sorry I could not be of more help.
        Regards
        Kevin
        Oct 5, 2016
    8. JBL250ti
      JBL250ti
      Hi Kevin, I'm the proud owner of 2 JBL B460 18" subs and have the opportunity to drive them with a NOS Crown MT 5002VZ. I was wondering what your thoughts were since you are the Crown expert here. Would you advise using this amp over a pair of Aragon Palladiums? It would be used in a home environment with JBL 250ti's biamped with Levinson 333 and 336 amps. Thanks much Kevin!
      1. kevzep
        kevzep
        Hi, First thing I would do, is go and see it and fire it up and see if its idle noise is ok for you. Also will need to checked out electronically to make sure its healthy. They have a larger than normal power plug on them, but you can fit your standard power plug for domestic use, let me know if you want some help checking it out.
        Oct 18, 2015
    9. arquesf
      arquesf
      Hi Kevin, I follow all your indicaciones about the sansui au-999 amp, and first of all a lot of thanks for share with us.I did the bass eq and preamp mods and I am very happy with the results.Now Im trying to change the big caos of the main supply and I will like to do with mundorf 4 pole caps, I think my au999 with my large original advents speakers will sound very good.My problem is that I'm not sure how to connect the 4 pole in the au999. Do you know how, perhaps Could you help me?.Thanks from Spain.
    10. fishyman1
      fishyman1
      Kevzep hi, I have just been reading forums about G series sansui and saw your name and that you are in New Zealand.
      I live in Nelson and have a Sansui obsession so was just wanting to meet like minded people.
      Was going to list my gear but think I will hold off for now.
      Anyways be good to catch up some time.
      Thanks
      Steve
    11. bluesfan
      bluesfan
      Hello
      I am going to try your sansui au 999 mods and was wondering what the tolerances are for the resistors +_10% ? And if so what was your source for these resistors they dont seem to be readily available. I appologize for my ignorance here for such a simple task.
    12. daza152
      daza152
      Hey Kev, are you a Kiwi? silly question but it just occurred to me that I wondered if there were any here on this forum so started a thread and someone else mentioned you...You may have told me a few years ago but my memory isn't that flash for names and faces.
    13. CaptSpalding
      CaptSpalding
      Hi Kevzep. I bought a Sansui AU-D11II from a guy in Auckland. He said someone on this site recapped it a few years ago I was wondering if it was you.It has since stopped working and I am looking for someone to fix it. I live near Whangarei and someone close would be good.I hear these can be tricky to fix so any help you can give me will be appreciated . Thanks very much. my email is taicrashmax@yahoo.com Thanks again.........Capt Spalding
    14. slimecity
      slimecity
      Hi Kevzep - I've posted a query in the McIntosh section "510 weirdness" - I got the name of the amp wrong sorry. Keen for a technicians' preliminary view on my issue with a strange mod that someone has done. Would really appreciate your expert advcie if you have time. cheers simon
    15. jimimac
      jimimac
      Kevzep I have potted all the transformers and autoformers for the last 15yrs. I have never wound an autoformer but I have run the lamination machine,screwed them together and tested multi thousands over the years. It's pretty time consuming and I'm kind of slow but I like to do things right the first time..
    16. jpoonilikit
      jpoonilikit
      ok kev i appreciate the reply...i just didnt know if it was safe to run all 4 of my sansui sp-x800s on the G8000's power amp side, in connected mode, and with the audiosource amp on the pre out powering the boses...i thought i had to have it in disconnected mode to use the pre out on the big g, but now i see it only turns off the power amp
    17. jpoonilikit
      jpoonilikit
      hey kev i have a question for you...i cant post threads yet for some reason, but anyways i have a sansui g8000 with four sansui sp-x8000 speakers hooked to it....i also have an audiosource amp 100 power amp hooked up to the pre out jacks on the side, which is running a set of bose am-5's....my question is, is it safe to leave the amp in connected mode, and run the bose hooked to the audiosource amp, as well as the four sansuis that are hooked to the power amp section af the g8000, or should i use them separately?
    18. skyguy
      skyguy
      Hi Kevzep , how busy are you? I have a CA-1000 that needs overhauling , I was referred to you by Avionic
    19. brightspark2
      brightspark2
      Another stupid question
      quality of caps how do i know which quality to order genral purpose or audio?
    20. brightspark2
      brightspark2
      ok kev cant get a bias read on right channel the now crackly channel. I switched boards over and the fault followed the board.
  • About

Auckland, New Zealand, Way down in the Pacific
    Live Audio Engineer
    I am 51 years old, I like doing things the old way

Have been a serious guitarist for 32 years, Motorsport particularly WRC, Magnum PI , and Ferrari's, I also like listening to music mostly on vinyl.

Signature

Main McIntosh MC452, MEN220, C48, MR78, MR80 Crown Macrotech5002VZ, L'acoustics 8xTi,SB115 Thorens TD125MK2/SME3009, Tascam 122MKII
    Music room, Sansui G22000, JBL L7 Tascam 112
    In the Lab, Sansui G9000, JBL4412, Technics SL1900
    Spare/Loaner Sansui G7700, JVC 4VR-5446.