kevzep
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi, This is Dave 5002 From US-Ohio. I read a post from KEVZEP and would like to talk to him about repair boards for 5002VZ's. I own a few some fairly new some not.
    I power JBL2269H's with them and love it! I'm not very experienced with theses forums so please be patient. I hope this will reach him, sorry if it's not the right path!
    Dave
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Sorry I didn't reply, you have 0 posts on Audio Karma so I am unable to reply to the message.
    How can I help you?
    D
    Dave5002
    Hi, KEVZEP, I read in a post a while back about your repair of 5002VZ amps. I would like more info on the redesigned repair boards you mentioned. can you personal message me on here?
    Thanks, Dave
    Hi. I have read from some of your older post that you loved your MC2205, but later your sigs show that you have replaced it with an MC452. I'm also a 2205 owner, would like to know your opinion on the improvements from the old Mac to the newer ones.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    I have owned MC2125, 2120, 2205, 250, 352 and 452. The 452 is a significant improvement over any other McIntosh amplifier I have owned or heard.
    It presents a whole new listening experience you'll not get with any of those other amps.
    Hope that helps.
    mozcho
    mozcho
    Thanks for your info. Would you write a post of this (comparing Mac amps, old vs new)?
    Connected/separated switch dismantled and cleaned, switches cleaned. Relays ordered. Unit is just killing it. Thank you.Next time you’re in Canada, or I’m in NZ, beers on me.
    Hi from Canada. I’ve seen your comparison of a 9090 to the G9000 and agree! I’m currently running a G9000 but have a right channel output problem. Sound is coming from that channel, but at a reduced level. Meters back up what I’m hearing. Switching from stereo to mono evens out the sound. Same problem with all inputs, digital or analogue. Can you suggest possible problems with my unit. Thanks.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    CONNECTED/SEPARATED switch needs dismantling and cleaning.
    Also, replace speaker relays.
    Clean all other switches and controls.
    Hi, I've read an old article about firmware for a McIntosh C48. I have firmware 1.0 installed. Could you please provide me the 2.21 or newer. My Laptop with ASIO installed does not find my C48. Could the upgrade of the firmware help?
    Thank you very much.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi Peter, for firmware upgrades, contact the factory. I am just an independent individual with no connection to McIntosh.
    I would not want to be responsible for you bricking your unit, as it is easy to do so.
    I found the factory support excellent when I contacted them.
    Good luck.
    Hi kev.....you walked me through my 7700 repair a while ago (thank you again) & it's working great but has one issue. The FM tuner doesn't stay locked on a station between uses.....just drifts a bit where I have to fiddle the knob a little to "re-lock" in the station upon powering on. I didn't recap the tuner board.....good place to start? Very minor issue but....
    Reactions: xmac113
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Needs an alignment most likely, also the variable tuning capacitor might need cleaning.
    There's no easy fix for tuners.
    PF Sound
    PF Sound
    Thanks for reply....... It's locking on stations great after power up, just initially is off a touch. I'll inspect the VTC again, replace the ecaps, then leave it alone. It ain't really broke, so....
    No idea what shipping would be to N.Z.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Thanks for looking into this I appreciate your efforts, I'll wait and see how much its going to cost me from the local supplier and make a decision then. Yes my 452 was manufactured in December 2012, so would have been one of the first for sure.
    quartersaw
    quartersaw
    Happy to assist!
    Let me know if the local source falls through pri¢e wi$e.
    If Mcintosh is following the same format for serial numbers which start at XXX1000, your Mc452 would be the 22nd example to roll out of the factory.
    New York State sales tax would be a little over $12, and shipping would be in the $10-$15 range.(I believe that Mcintosh has a minimum cost for shipping. (I bought a few pilot lamps for the Mc2300's, and I think the min. shipping was $10) I can cover payment on this end until the meter is on its way to you.
    I called Mcintosh this morning, and the meters are in stock. They will sell me one for $154.62 U.S. plus tax & shipping. :)
    Let me know if you would like me to order one.
    Kev,
    I could make an attempt to contact Mcintosh, to see if they would sell me a meter for the Mc452.
    If I could obtain one, I'd ship it to you. My Mc452 is of course, is still under warranty, and I don't know if they would let a significant part go out the door for a model that is still current. At the very worst, all that they can do, is say no.......
    Reactions: kevzep
    quartersaw
    quartersaw
    I'll give it a shot.
    Is your unit serial number range AAT****, or ACF****? I don't want your serial number, but just in case there is a production difference.......
    I have spoken to the parts dept. @ Mcintosh several times, and the people who I have dealt with there, could use a few lessons in customer service... If they say 'yes', if you want it, I'll buy it
    kevzep
    kevzep
    My serial number is ACF1022. Of course as soon as I start looking at this issue, the meter starts working again, hilarious!! It will stop again at some point though...its like its afraid of me and starts working.....Thanks for looking into this.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    I finally heard back, they are getting me a price, so still see if you can get one as I am sure it is likely to be a lot cheaper than the robbers here in NZ...
    Hi Kev,
    I emailed you at your kevzep@xnet.co.nz a couple days ago.
    I have been testing many components & can't find a thing wrong.
    Do you have any idea why I get extreme high mV Bias with minimal variac voltage?
    PS Voltages are good.
    Not much else has been solved since my mess to your main email.
    What should I test etc.

Thank You, Bru
    Hi Kev,
    Perhaps the fault are the STV-3H Diodes. However, only the left CH was bad and I have the very negative Bias on both CH's.
    Maybe I am not brave enough to bring the variac up higher than 30VAC (I am in 120V USA). But I have never seen such a negative voltage before.
    I had the polarity on the Test Point hook-up correct.

Would 4 - 1N4148's replicate the STV-3H for troubleshooting?
    Thank you very much,
    Bru
    kevzep
    kevzep
    The negative part is irrelevant. The important and only relevant part is the actual number, and 430mV is extremely high.
    The Voltage drop of a STV is about 1.4VDC, so use 3 x 1N4148 in series.
    Bare in mind that unless the leg or legs have actually broken off the STV diode, it is probably OK. I have actually never seen one fail in 20 years....
    Drop me a private message as this is hopeless with 420 characters.
    Hi Kev,
    I have a Sansui G-7000 that had blown Left CH Outputs and drivers. I replaced every faulty piece. PS Rails check out good. I BIAs as I bring up on a Variac to reduce risk.
    I get readings like negative 430mV.

Do you have any idea why I get such Negative Bias Readings?
    I have rebuilt may Sui's - never had this happen before.
    Thank you very much,
    Bru
    Hey Kev, I have an SX-750 that I bought used & have it connected to a cd, tape and Bluetooth. Runs real nice but has a slight hum when powered on, nothing major and not really able to hear it when music is playing. I only really notice it when powering it down and the hum disappears. Don't know if it has ever been serviced but I suspect not. Something to worry about or is that par for the course ? Cheers, Nick
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi Nick, might just be a bit of mechanical hum from the transformer, however it could also be a number of electrical issues as well....Although really sounds like a normal power up surge from what you're describing....hope that helps...Cheers Kevin
    N
    NikonNick
    Thanks Kev...... will live it for now, don't really want to pull it apart it that's the only issue. Now I know you're around will holler if I need it looked at in the future. Cheers
    Hi, I have an SX1250. She is awesome but a couple of things went wrong with her and she was repaired each time. I haven't used it since. I have heard you are very good so was wondering whether you could check her out. I wonder whether it might be a capacitor issue. I live on the North Shore so not too far from you.
    Cheers
    David
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi David,
    My email address is kevzep@xnet.co.nz.
    I can certainly have a look at you SX1250, I can assess and look at what needs doing.
    I am away this weekend, but if you wanted to drop it off tonight or Monday I am home most of the day, around Lunchtime would be ideal, or in the evening. Let me know, I live just up in Warkworth.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

I have a Sansui G7000 and 331 receivers that need some work done. Would you be interested in looking at them?

I live in BeachHaven so not too far away :)
    cheers

Al
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi Al,
    Yep, I can have a look at those, what do you need doing? Tuner alignment (I bet the dial pointer is off a bit)? General service?
    I live in Warkworth which is not too far away, or you can drop at the office in Avondale, I go in there fairly regularly....
    Let me know, email address is kevzep@xnet.co.nz
    Cheers
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin - Happy New Year, we are in Knights Rd just up from Beulah, its a small world! I will be heading up Warkworth way fairly soon so could drop it off if you let me know how to contact you, I am not in any hurry to get it back. cheers
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi Chris,
    Are you still interested in getting the 777 repaired? My real job is slowing down a bit so I am getting rid of these other Sansui jobs around here and could look at it soon.
    email me on kevzep@xnet.co.nz easier than communicating on this message board
    Cheers
    C
    Chris Hall
    Hi Kevin - I got a bit side tracked, but am back in AKL full time now, yes I am still interested and happy to drop it up any weekend that suits or let me know if you are heading down this way.
    Cheers
    Chris
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Hi Chris, Flick me an email on kevzep@xnet.co.nz. I'll be around this weekend, I am not intending on coming to Auckland this week, but if I do I'll let you know. Good timing, I have window to get this done.
    Hi Kevin I have an AU777 that I inherited from my Father, he bought it new in Japan on a business trip almost 50 years ago and I'd like to keep it going for another 50!. I have been looking for somewhere to send it for a full overhaul. Do you offer a repair service or if not is there anyone you would recommend in Auckland? I'd really appreciate your advice :) cheers Chris
    C
    Chris Hall
    That's great news - I am in Rothesay Bay on the North Shore so would be very happy to drop it off to you at a time that suits - cheers and Merry Christmas!
    kevzep
    kevzep
    Great, sorry, yeah sometimes I get messages from people in the USA not realizing I am on the other side of the world....so I always have to ask..
    I actually live in Warkworth, originally from Murrays Bay, I used to rent a batch in Beulah Ave in the 80's...anyhoo, yes I can give it an overhaul. I am of course really busy.
    kevzep
    kevzep
    I do this in between my normal full time job. I have 4 perreaux's for repair, a Sansui QRX8001,777,and 5001 I am overhauling, so a full house at the moment, and at this time of the year i am really busy with my full time job, so realistically it would be sometime about Feb before I could get to it.
    Let me know if that works....
    I come to Auckland regularly so I could pick it up perhaps,whatever works
    Cheers
    Kevin
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom