Recent content by KKnight

1. KKnight

SX-780 recap list ?

Almost done recapping+ a 780. Seeing a lot of probs ppl have w/ the emitter resistors by the Darlingtons. All 4 of of the marked 0.22 ohm 2w resistors read .7~.8 ohms on my lowest 200 DMM scale in or out of the board. Misread? Problems?
  2. KKnight

MC22 preamp clone

Yep pretty much what I did except for the bleeder- where did you install your bleeder resistor? Isnt the case roomy and amazing? I recently had a offer on mine that is still almost too good to refuse. Almost double what I initially paid for mine without all my mods and replacements. After...
  3. KKnight

Pioneer SX-828 Noise on Phono and Mic Outputs

What did MarktheFixer in the Pioneer forum of AK say? You would of been better off posting your original post there.
  4. KKnight

Pioneer SX-680 balance issue

First get this ? in the Pioneer section- you'll have better luck. TRIPLE check that pot again (remove it) and clean it good with DeOxit. If you can ensure its ok, sounds like your DC offset is off and has drifted from spec. Real common on old units that havent been fully recapped and...
  5. KKnight

DIY Speaker Kits?

Great. You like them. Ive got some swamp land in Florida I'll sell you anyone else that say "it is perception", at a great price!
  6. KKnight

DIY Speaker Kits?

Sheesh.. another Hivi 3.1a thread. These were (and are if you can find them) the #1 consumer sucker punch kit over the past 5 years. They were dumped on the market by what's left of Swan and several other junk dealers and sources because from-the-get-go Swan knew their engineering was faulty and...
  7. KKnight

Verify your internal components

Who actually verifies the electrolytic capacitors, transistors, tubes, and/or anything else in your new (last 10 years) purchased audio gear or consumer electronics (like TVs) when you get it home or to the shop? (Bottom end Tier 3 and 4 'lytics and counterfeits are at all time highs now).
  8. KKnight

AudioKarma members

Less than (<1) percent. Audiokarma, Diyaudio, etc demographic is white men primarily 49+ years old or older, semi educated or no post high school education at all (4 year college or university), lower or less than middle class, 50% claim to be married (45% divorced 5% "single"), with less than...
  9. KKnight

ELNA SILMIC II DISCONTINUED

+1 Its already known in the industry the Silmic II is one of the best 'lytics out there for DIYers and everybody else, especially audiophiles. Written in stone. Dont worry about the negative comments. My wife did her Doctoral Thesis (social/political) over 2 decades ago on forums like this one...
  10. KKnight

Taking on a Realistic STA-2100 Rebuild

Do you have the original service manual? How are you going to calibrate the DC offset bias after youre through?
  11. KKnight

ELNA SILMIC II DISCONTINUED

One of the best and top Tier 1 audiophile grade electrolytics of all time. Devastating. :no:. Posting it here to again get the word out. Now we're gonna have every scam junk dealer in the world listing them all dried out for 40~70% above MSRP for 20 years, when the shelf life fresh and new is...
  12. KKnight

I guess quality speakers do make a difference.

LOL. Sony speakers, the bottom of any heap. Of course Klipsch's are going to be engineered better and the 92db efficiency is par. Youre right about them looking funky. I would buy them, tear them completely apart, rebuild the crossovers with expensive Jantzen polys, replace the resistors...
  13. KKnight

5 Dollar Goodwill Speaker pair... Pioneer CS

They were in reality crap when they were engineered and manufactured, Extremely inefficient and thick sounding. I had once has a good friend completely tear them apart for a complete crossover (XO) rebuild keeping the original inductors, refinish the cabs, re cloth the grills, repair some of the...
  14. KKnight

Nichicon FW vs KZ

Agreed. The shelf life is 10 years.. But the problem is, these days, with audio grade Nichicon's, Elna's, etc replacements, they are sitting in the Mouser and Digikey warehouses for waaaaaayyy too long. Nothing worse than old stale beer.. (manufactured newer and fresher is critical).
  15. KKnight

Marantz 2220b restoration.

Hope its working out for you. This thread would of been a lot better off in the Marantz section instead of the general DIY section.. Have done two 2220b's over the decades and youre mostly on track. Whats your status? What youre doing is not a restoration. More like a repair/recap...
Back
Top Bottom