Recent content by kylemac

1. kylemac

Upgrading vintage Audio-Technica cartridge to a modern AT cart?

Wow. I'm about 10 records in and I am impressed... BTW, after a few tweaks of my graphic equalizer, and the lower output voltage is no longer an issue. I am very impressed with the microline styli's ability to get into the grooves and pull that data out. It also eliminates a lot of pops and...
  2. kylemac

Finally waited until my stylus was on verge of needing replacement before pulling the trigger. Went online to purchase a AT's VM95ML. Whoa. Prices have INCREASED, and on some sites, it was unavailable. Went online to HiFi Heaven in Wisconsin. Found it for what it should cost, and a week later...
  3. kylemac

Allison Acoustics 110 mystery

I think, based on your photo, that is the iteration of the Allison speakers made in Kentucky years after Allison Acoustics closed its doors and Bob Allison was brought out of retirement... Or I could be wrong...
  4. kylemac

Filip I, I am interested in your suggestions, but where on the LC-110 (assuming that's what I have) is the yellow resistor or the choke? I have looked at my photos and studied them, and I don't see any components -- except for the crossover's coil and 8uf capacitor... Or are they connected to...
  5. kylemac

Very good comments overall, and good conversation overall. I think it comes down to a listening test, and what the individual listener is most pleased with. I think the question as to whether I'm chasing numbers has been answered: Anyone expecting to hear a cartridge's supposed entire...
  6. kylemac

I know what you're saying, but that replacement needle, which I have already purchased in the past, lacks the details of the original -- like the boron/beryllium cantilever, and the linear contact stylus. You're right in that it's not expensive, but I'm looking for something that has the same...
  7. kylemac

Folks, About four years ago I purchased a vintage Denon DP-2550 at a pawn shop (look for post about the experience and the refurbishment) that came with a nice Audio-Technica LS-400 cartridge from the late 70s' Lab Series. I really like the sound of that cart, but moved two years ago to a...
  8. kylemac

For those who recall the state of my brittle plastic grills, I was able to find a quick work around. I knew I had some black plastic netting, and just taping it to the interior of the grill seems to have done a world of good. I also stuffed some plastic between the grill and the grill slot...
  9. kylemac

I kept questioning myself last night. Sure the bass was off, as well as the imaging... but the poly cap in the crossover showed no signs of leakage. And, I doublechecked my new surround work on the woofer with a 50hz signal. What was wrong? Clearly these speakers are considered "audiophile"...
  10. kylemac

I opened the back to see the crossovers. They look to be in good shape, but I'm unsure if polypropylene caps leak the same way as electrolytic caps? There didn't seem to be any problems that were visable. Allison's production crew did not spare the hot glue when ensuring the crossovers would...
  11. kylemac

My current opinion: I was reading the Stereo Review review of the LC-110 from November 1986. The reviewer said the speaker seemed bright and thin until he re-read the installation instructions. The reviewer then placed the speaker on the floor and against a wall. The difference was immediate...
  12. kylemac

Well, thanks to Springfield Speaker Repair's replacement surrounds on eBay ($22), these speakers will have new life once they are done drying...
  13. kylemac

A few more pics of the woofer magnet... Yep, Jan 5, 1984... I wonder if this will help decode what model Allison 110 this speaker really is?
  14. kylemac

Welp, that went easier than expected... Four screws and out came the woofer assembly. And, you are right, Allison3, the surround pretty much disintegrated in my hands. No razor needed, as it pulled away from the woofer cone with no trouble. I will spend some time tomorrow scrapping away the...
  15. kylemac

--- Thank you for your response. The plastic grills are by no means perfect, but their flaws are in the corners, and not very noticable. That said, it seems like the woofer is coated with some type of rubber. So, when replacing the surrounds, how do I separate the current surround from the...
Back
Top Bottom