Recent content by lab rat

1. lab rat

High Output MC Cartridge Dynaco Tube

If you are looking for a MC, I'd suggest the Hana EH or even the Denon DL-110 for a bit less than the Sumiko. My experience with HO-MC is they are pretty darn good. However, just bc it it "HO" doesn't mean you might not need a SUT or other means to increase the signal. (Rothwell makes one for...
  2. lab rat

Sound Valves VTP-101: need help!

I have some Sovtek 12AX&-WXT (no longer made) --- the only other ones I tried were ARC and some vintage Fishers. The Sovteks are my favorite even if they are "colored." Definitely on the warm side. But that seems to be what I prefer. Any other recommendations?
  3. lab rat

UPDATE: Cannot recommend Luis at StereoAdvisor in Sacramento, CA enough. He also repaired my Dynaco 70 (Sound Valves VTA-70 - Dynaco clone) and WOW the difference! Repairs were done faster than I would have thought @ about 2 weeks. Turned out there was a broken trace and the PS caps (a well...
  4. lab rat

That's what I did. Read my post above. I totally agree!
  5. lab rat

So I'v crossed over to the dark side... Dynaco ST-70

So, how DO you like your ST-70? I paired mine with some Klipsch speakers and they sound good. That said, my B&W 805 sounded really lack luster. using a 40W/ch transistor amp made the B&Ws sing! It takes a bit of experimentation. Enjoy!
  6. lab rat

Thank you for all your help. i do appreciate it. i decided that it would be worth a 45 min drive to take the unit to StereoAdvisor in Sacramento. He was recommended by a guy that knows he has a good reputation. I then checked YELP and these forums and the ppl that have used Luis seem to be...
  7. lab rat

That's a FET, MOSFET or HEXFET (I seem to remember they used the HEXFET in this design). I finally made a good decision on it and took it to a guy who would tell me what it needs or if it can be repaired. Unlike the first person i took it to, this is an established business that has been...
  8. lab rat

Good advice. Replacing it with a toroidal is probably within my skill set. Fabricating an umbilical separate PS likely is not within my skill level or motivation level. Another option one member mentioned was having the tranny rewound. I did get a referral from a local McIntosh guy to a...
  9. lab rat

HOMC recommendation

I was thinking of getting a Hana EL for my second table. How is it?
  10. lab rat

Thank you!
  11. lab rat

Linn Akito cue repair

I have decided to take it to a shop. I am getting an Axis that I want to mount the Akito arm and swap the Basik arm to the Basik table. My Akito has no markings on the back plate and the cue handle and cylinder are black. I have always thought that my Akito was a 1st Generation Japanese made?
  12. lab rat

HOMC recommendation

I like my OC-9, but you missed the true "joy" of the break-in period if you got yours used. My GOD it sounded awful for many hours! Some ppl say that it the OC-9 takes about twice as long as most carts to break in. I preferred the SUT (rothwell MC-1) approach from the standpoint that it is a...
  13. lab rat

HOMC recommendation

I have the MC-1 on a Linn Basik w/Akito and AT-OC-9. I often wonder if I should have gone with the MCX. Well, I am getting a second TT so maybe I will find out. The gain on the MC-1 is about right so if I get a Hana EL or even a Denon 103, I would think the MCX would work as well as the MCL...
  14. lab rat

Linn Akito cue repair

WOW! This is exactly what i needed! Thank you, Colin!
  15. lab rat

Linn Akito cue repair

I will try taking it off the table this weekend and see if it's something I can fix. Maybe the flakes are the problem. Did not know it was the same lift as the Rega. Thanks.
Back
Top Bottom