Recent content by lanwanman195

1. lanwanman195

How did anyone afford gear in 70's-80's??

Well...Uncle Sam (USAF) housed and fed me for free from 1976-1980. The barracks was a hotbed of stereo and music geeks with a amazing variety of equipment and endless talk about said equipment. Endless selling and trading of equipment as well. Good times. BX on base sold equipment at some...
  2. lanwanman195

Pioneer PL-518 Different foot springs?

If it's the seller located in Texas I can vouch for the quality of the product. Just replaced the rotted rubber on the feet of my dad's PL-560 table with them.
  3. lanwanman195

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

Dave Mathews Band The Pineapple Thief Porcupine Tree Had tickets for Riverside but they had to cancel the Austin show due to entry delays. Was really looking forward to seeing them and hoping that they reschedule.
  4. lanwanman195

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Airbag - "Identity" 2020 remaster. Home office setup. Sundara phones.
  5. lanwanman195

computers then and now - fascinating progess...

Automatic Test Stations designed and built by General Dynamics to support F-111D Mark II Avionics. Test routines were called up with hex codes from CENPAC (Central Processor and Controller) via a DATAC keypad (Data Transfer And Control). The logic gates in the test stations were comprised of...
  6. lanwanman195

Streaming some Manfred Mann's Earth Band albums from Amazon Music to my Senn HD598 on an Asus L210M in my old bedroom at my parents house. Spelling my sister for an extended break for her. Winding down the day and up early in the AM to take dad for one of the thrice weekly dialysis sessions...
  7. lanwanman195

80s-90s Pat Metheny Group recordings. Sundara. SMSL SP200. SMSL SU8. JRiver. FLAC.
  8. lanwanman195

The most disappointing headphones you ever bought.

The Sennheiser/Drop 58x. Have tried but just don't like them. I really need to sell them off. They sit on the headphone stand and don't get used.
  9. lanwanman195

Fond memories of audio as a kid. What did you have?

Earliest memories of "Hi-Fi"...my dad had a Grundig console that he bought when we were stationed in Bermuda late 50s-early 60s. I used to listen through the different radio bands and when I got a bit older was allowed to play records from his collection. Got an education in classical, big-band...
  10. lanwanman195

Sundara arrived today so listening across genres to all of my go-to tracks for demo. Impressed with them so far. Larger soundstage than the HE-560, more detail, a bit hotter high end but nothing fatiguing. Listening to tracks on the 24/96 Pat Metheny Group album, "First Circle" right now. Keepers.
  11. lanwanman195

Best Headphones for under $200

For a slight bump up of your $200 headroom I would carefully consider these at Adorama: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v4.html?sdtid=15260920&emailprice=t&sterm=VB4Tc51sVxyLW0lwUx0Mo3b4UkBTP2R3Iy-ZQs0&utm_source=rflaid62905 I have the 560v3 and they are my go-to headphones for serious...
  12. lanwanman195

JRiver => SMSL SU-8 DAC => SMSL SP200 amp => HiFi Man HE-560V3 RIP Paul Cotton
Back
Top Bottom