Recent content by legalalien

1. legalalien

Low powered SET amp and speakers to match

Not opposed to vintage as I own the pristine museum grade Yamaha CR 820 in my profile pic. I’ve read tons about the Altec 17’s and I just saw a phenomenal pair on eBay listed for 17K plus 3K for shipping, lol. You’re correct about the giant cabinets, thats a no go for me. I’ve also considered...
  2. legalalien

This was my thinking all along, I’ve read that high sensitivity speakers come alive at much lower volumes. I’ve owned many speakers that didnt sound any good until they were so loud I’d wake up the fam. I’d appreciate any thoughts on the speakers listed above or suggestions on something else...
  3. legalalien

Thanks for the replies, I should have mentioned the room is only 11x13 with an 8ft ceiling.
  4. legalalien

I've been absent from this site for a while and I'm toying with the idea of putting together a second system upstairs in my "Man Loft". I'd be primarily using it for late night Jazz sessions at low to mid listening levels as the wifey usually goes to bed at 11 whereas I'm a night owl. Anyway...
  5. legalalien

Shahinian Compass vs Source model X (unknown)

I've always loved the look of the Compasses and most of the Shahinians in general. I heard a pair of Obelisks at the AK fest about 15 years ago in metro Detroit and was mighty impressed but wow are they getting expensive. Might try a pair if they ever come up here used which is pretty rare...
  6. legalalien

New - Magnepan LRS speakers

A little late to the party here but I'm wondering if anyone has mentioned any of the Maggie mod's and tweaks for these? Having owned 3 different set's of Mag's (MMG's, MG10's and 1.5's) I know from my own experience that there are a few things that paid dividends , at least to these ears. The...
  7. legalalien

Martin Logan Sequel 2 or Maggie Super MMG? I get one shot.

Having owned both ML's (Aerius i's) and MMG's and MG10's my preference was for the Maggies. If you go MMG's there are a couple things I'd recommend doing, first replace the metal jumpers with something decent like a short run of whatever speaker wire you're using or there are a few specialty...
  8. legalalien

Replacement for Magnepan MMGs?

I have MMG's in my loft system, I run Duevel Planets in my great room and they're quite pleasant. You may consider used Ohm's if you can get past their looks, (I couldn't). Both offer big, room filling, full range sound, if you're in to that kinda thing...
  9. legalalien

Larry Bird speakers

I had a similar experience with a beautiful mahogany set of NHT 2.5's that looked fantastic in our great room, however I came across a pair of bullnose Advents that I couldn't pass up. So one evening when the wife is out I insert the Advents in and BAM, there it is, beautiful seamless music...
  10. legalalien

omnidirectional speakers

I currently run the Duevel Planets in my living room, they replaced Ohm Walsh 3's, both are omni's. The Planets compete pretty favorably with the Ohm's with just tad less bass and dynamics, but the Planets are half the size and look much more modern than the 30 year old Ohm's. Either one will...
  11. legalalien

Yamaha CR-1000 vs Marantz 2270 CR-xx00 vs 22xx

I've owned a pristine 2275 (which I loved) and currently run a museum grade CR1020 (which I will die with). The Marantz was pushing Large walnut Advents which was big, warm and glorious sound. The Yamaha pushes ADS 570/2's and the sound is warm detailed and beautiful. No winner or loser here...
  12. legalalien

4311's or Magnepan 1.7's

This choice to me is strictly about what kind of music you listen to and how loud. JBL's (which you have) excel with rock played at loud volumes, they will be OK with other types of music but rock is their target market. Maggie's on the other hand are sublime with un-amplified music like small...
  13. legalalien

Of a small wall, guess the winner.

I own the 570's so I'll guess 5 for them.
  14. legalalien

5th pair of Magnepans....A charm

I'm thinking of jumping back in to Maggie's myself, would be my 3rd go round. I have a dedicated man-loft that is crying out for a set of MMG's, modded and tweaked of course.
  15. legalalien

Speakers for jazz

As much as I love Maggie's I'm not sure Jazz recorded that long ago will sound very pleasing. I'd probably lean towards something more forgiving like Ohm's, just my 2 cents...
Back
Top Bottom