Recent content by Marantzaholic

1. M

New Yamaha Amp - Man this sounds good

I have had the pleasure of owning a Yamaha A-700 and an A-1000. Wish I still had them, especially the A-1000. Man, that amp and a pair of ADS L-1090/2 speakers was absolute sonic heaven. Picked up an A-1020 off the 'bay and while it sounded good, it was a little scaled back in the power supply...
  2. M

Today's Rummage - left for dead Pioneer SX-3700

The 3700 is a really underappreciated unit. It is a very nice sounding, reasonably well built receiver. And it looks great if you like the hybrid analog/digital style. I've had two of them and would certainly not turn one down if offered to me. Glad that you got her running again.
  3. M

Crown DL2 Controller

That preamp and the Setton RCX-1000 have to be the ultimate in audio "Geek Chic." I've always lusted after that Crown.
  4. M

Kenwood KR-9050

On a scale of 1 to 10 of cool, that ranks a 450! Great trade. I would love to run across one of those beautiful monsters.
  5. M

Sansui SP-X11000 4 Way 8 Speaker System

I actually have owned a pair of these monsters. Long on loud, short on finesse. They were fun to have around, but since I live in an apartment and would like to stay here... they had to go. ;) Seriously though. Sound quality is mediocre at best. They two cabinets are connected by two complex...
  6. M

Sony 707ESD Found at Goodwill

Super score!
  7. M

Your thoughts on Pioneer HPM 150/1500

Jump on them. Yesterday. That is a steal of the first order if they are in any kind of decent shape.
  8. M

Best japanese Speakers?

Never got a chance to hear these, but based on looks alone, they sure should sound good. :D Sansui XL-900C. I lusted after this so much when I was a kid.
  9. M

Pioneer sound vs Marantz sound

For me, the Marantz sound beats the Pioneer coming and going. I like Pioneer equipment, and I am certainly not putting it down as sounding BAD mind you. Just that the Marantz has such a silky, seductive sound. For me, it just makes me smile and want to listen for hours. Marantz receivers just...
  10. M

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

I owned both a Yamaha A-1000 and an A-1020, though not at the same time. Honestly, the A-1000 is WAAAYY better built. However, soundwise, there was little to no difference. Both had the classic Yamaha "Natural Sound." No coloration, plenty of power and solid, deep bass.
  11. M

Akai AA-A25 Stereo Receiver - A Quandary

There should be a "reset" button the back. It resets the main computer back to factory specs. I don't know if this will fix everything, but it's worth a try and it's free! I used to have an AA-R32, which was the year before your series came out. I was knocked out by the then futuristic...
  12. M

The Marantz 2330B I have ...?!

I owned one of these once. It was definitely a love/hate affair. Loved the styling. To my eyes, it is perhaps the best looking Marantz receiver of all. Perfectly balanced and proportioned. When polished up and with all the bulbs replaced, it was just stunning. It was very well built, typical of...
  13. M

Has the economy affected your audio purchasing habits?

Thanks for the encouragement mashaffer. I've been reading and listening to Dave Ramsey and decided that it is well past time to get my financial house in order. I love my gear, don't get me wrong, and I will probably get back into a light form of collecting when I am in better shape. As for...
  14. M

Pioneer A-9 Amp And F-9 Tuner She Ask me How Much!

Dude! Total killer score!!! Many people did not like this series, but I think it is a diamond in the rough. If you post some nudies of the amp, you'll find it is extremely well built (weighs about 40 lbs., if I remember correctly) and even the tuner got rave reviews back in the day. It is the...
  15. M

Has the economy affected your audio purchasing habits?

I was thinking about how I have all but quit purchasing any new (to me) audio equipment. In fact, I have even quit perusing the thrift stores except for an occasional pass through once a month or so. Right now, I'm focused on getting out of debt and eliminating ANY unnecessary expenses...
Back
Top Bottom