Recent content by Masonavenut

1. Masonavenut

Mellow Tone Kits: Anyone Have Experience with their Tube Amp/Preamps?

I built two of their pre amps. Very simple, good sounding. No controls other than volume. Two inputs, boards are nice, separate power supply for each channel. Good for rolling tubes as there’s not a lot to muck up a signal. One of the pre’s they call their Universal as you can use 6 or 12v...
  2. Masonavenut

Tutorial: Tube amp build with layout steps and adoption of PCB circuit to point-to-point wiring?

One thing to add to these comments. Holding a drill by hand using a regular drill bit is very iffy if your technique is not up to snuff. The larger drill bit can walk (causing a semi triangular hole) even when you‘ve drilled a pilot hole or used a punch to start the hole. The larger the bit/hole...
  3. Masonavenut

Crime of the Mid Century

:bowdown:
  4. Masonavenut

Praise The Fisher 500c

The Forte II is my favorite iteration. I’ve listened to I’s, III’s, and IV’s but the II stands out for me (could be the newer models weren’t broken in as well). And yes the Fisher receivers were my gateway drug. Have fun.
  5. Masonavenut

Ordering passives

Thanks folks. I’m starting to modify my thinking this whole subject. I guess in the back of my mind I was relating tolerance with quality. I can understand how with tubes a 5% vs 1% part may just be the cats meow. BTW the project coming up is building Tony’s ”Members Only” pre. It’s over my head...
  6. Masonavenut

Ordering passives

Thanks gents, that certainly saves some consternation.
  7. Masonavenut

Ordering passives

Well shucks. It is seeming that when you get into the 1% tolerance resistors you get very limited. I can find different values in different manufactures and series but not all the same basic body. The interesting thing is that I have almost every value I need in my stash but they are 5%...
  8. Masonavenut

Ordering passives

Just had a pm about ordering from the same series. Ok, making more sense.
  9. Masonavenut

Ordering passives

Hi folks I’m starting a new project and putting together a BOM. I want it to be really tidy so I want to match my components not only operationally/value wise but I want them to look uniform and, well, tidy. One of my biggest bugaboos is resistors and having them match. In the past when I...
  10. Masonavenut

KX-200 save

The Fisher force is strong in this one. ‘Always amazed Steve how Fishers seem to find you.
  11. Masonavenut

Tutorial: Tube amp build with layout steps and adoption of PCB circuit to point-to-point wiring?

Bring it on. I’m jonesing to build another amp and would like to do it from scratch, so I’m poking my nose in here and there.
  12. Masonavenut

Educating myself

Yup thanks. To many numbers flying through the head.
  13. Masonavenut

Educating myself

Wow I’m kinda jazzed now. Beautiful set of 6SN7GTB’s. I knew there was one but the other one didn’t have an identifier on the outside. Score.
  14. Masonavenut

Educating myself

I’m with you, it’s kinda fun. I’m actually very surprised at the amount of good tubes are here. In addition to those you spotted in the box there are a few in the bags also that I have started to separate.
  15. Masonavenut

Educating myself

Thanks gadget. I’ve already found that the radiomuseum.org website is a good source for identifying use of each tube.
Back
Top Bottom