Recent content by matmat

1. matmat

Adjusting auto-lift on Luxman PD-264

Hi all, Bumping this up in case someone who's owned this table has a clue what might be the problem or how to solve it. I've been fiddling with it but nothing is changing much. Any help appreciated!
  2. matmat

Okay thanks for the idea! I tried at 2.5 but it didn't seem to be much better. And I'm concerned about running it heavier than it's supposed to be... Another thing I've noticed which is probably related: when balancing or hovering free, the tonearm tends to move outward, away from the center...
  3. matmat

The auto-lift is built in. I did reduce the VTF from 2.5 for the Carbon, to 1.5 for the OM30. The anti-skate is off, I'm pretty sure it was off already before I changed the cartridge.
  4. matmat

Hi all, I have a Luxman PD-264 that is giving me a bit of trouble with its auto-lift mechanism. It was working perfectly until a few days ago when I replaced the cartridge (going from a Rega Carbon to an Ortofon OM30). Now when the tonearm bumps into the tripwire, it bounces back and fails to...
  5. matmat

My 4000 traveled to another continent and became.. Very slow

Update: bad news... Something happened a few days ago and the power splitter where the receiver was plugged in seems to have burned (some melted plastic around the splitter's on/off switch, where the surge protector light was). Somehow the splitter still worked afterwards, and so did the...
  6. matmat

The regulator is a switch but it is on all day (only at night when the tension is too low to feed it, I have to turn the regulator off). I'm not really noticing any difference in performance (or start-up) whether the regulator is on or off. The unit was repaired in the US. And it worked well...
  7. matmat

Yes, exactly the same thing on both sides.
  8. matmat

Ok thank you, that is super helpful. The amp did travel as a checked luggage in an airplane for close to 15 hours, and I hear it's very cold in there, so maybe that could explain this. It's very hot out here, so maybe it'll get better over time. I'll open it up and see if anything seems loose...
  9. matmat

Another thing: back when I had to fix the receiver after blowing a channel, I had followed the good advice of this forum and built a Dim Bulb Tester. I don't have it here with me but could bring it over in a couple of weeks. It's probably a silly question, but is it a good idea to use it to...
  10. matmat

Thank you both for your answers. I forgot to mention: yes I did make the voltage switch to 220v inside the unit when I unpacked it. Stereofun: do you think the issue I described could be linked to either DC offset, or center voltage (or even bias)? How do I know if anything needs adjusting?
  11. matmat

Hi all, I've had this Sansui 4000 for 5 years, and love it so much that I took the risk to take it with me when I moved from NYC to Benin, West Africa, a few days ago. It arrived without a ding on the outside (it was carefully packed in one of those Pelican cases), and it still works! But...
  12. matmat

Thorens TD-165 - Using US model on 220V/50Hz

Thanks a lot for this info. This is starting to sound a lot more doable! I got confirmation that the house has a regulator that provides a clean and stable 50Hz, so I should be fine with AC after all. I will switch the pulley first, and I'll see about rewiring or just purchasing a step-down...
  13. matmat

Yes, it might come down to that in the end. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing the towel too fast... But I don't have the bandwidth to take on a big project at the moment. If the pulley swap + rewiring can be done in 2-3 hours without causing a massive headache, I'll give it a shot.
  14. matmat

I understand. The thing is, seems like an Origin Live DC motor costs more than what I paid for the Thorens (and more than I'm willing to spend). Too bad, that sounded really promising! I'm going to try to find out just how reliable the frequency is in that house. And if I get a satisfying...
  15. matmat

That's a very good point. Power grid is definitely NOT stable or reliable in Benin, so that's an issue. The house we're renting now has a regulator that ensures the supply is clean and stable (I can try to find out HOW stable). Eventually we're going to build an autonomous house, so we'll...
Back
Top Bottom