Recent content by mickaltamont

1. mickaltamont

New to me Blair Lamphear tube amp

I really don't know. I think maybe to keep the corresponding lines for the top caps sorted out??
  2. mickaltamont

New to me Blair Lamphear tube amp

Hi to everyone. I recently came into this tube amp in trade for a Thorens TD150 turntable. The person I got it from said it was 35 watts and made by Blair Lamphear who was a reputable builder of tube amps known for his Nightshade Audio amplifiers. There is a metal plate on the side that says...
  3. mickaltamont

Sansui au-222 vs Kenwood ka-4002

Hello folks. I'm trying to complete a very vintage small system for my basement, currently looking at these two amplifiers (also maybe a Kenwood 2500). Considering condition is comparable, with the Sansui being a bit more expensive which would you all recommend and why. I've got a pair of AR7's...
  4. mickaltamont

AR7 capacitor question

Thanks for the quick and succinct answer
  5. mickaltamont

AR7 capacitor question

Putting this out to the knowledge folks here. I just picked up a pair of AR7 speakers in the beautiful teak cabinets. The drivers have been redone and I think the missing piece is redoing the capacitors. My question is what is the difference between the 6.2uf 250v versus the Solens 6.2uf 400v...
  6. mickaltamont

Thorens TD150 headshell connection problem. Help needed

I followed your advice to the letter and now the pin is secured in the headshell and the cartridge couples perfectly with the arm tube. Than you so much!
  7. mickaltamont

Thank you. I will give this a try.
  8. mickaltamont

I've got a Thorens TD150 with the original arm and headshell. The little pin on the head shell that helps tighten the head shell to the arm tube is now sliding down as I try to tighten the coupling nut over it. Does this make sense so far? I need to know if there is a way to get the pin to stay...
  9. mickaltamont

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Canton S Plus Speakers

I agree, these definitely out perform the Minimus 7's. I guess my comparison began and ended with their same relative footprint size wise.
  10. mickaltamont

whats the best sounding "small" speaker you've ever heard

I've had both and only kept the Minimus 7's. I wanted the Spica's for many reasons among which that they were made in my hometown of Santa Fe NM. However, as much as I liked them I found them a bit light sounding and they didn't lend themselves well to casual listening, especially Rock & Roll.
  11. mickaltamont

whats the best sounding "small" speaker you've ever heard

Blasphemy I know, but the Boston Acoustics HD8's are probably some of the best sounding speakers I've heard. The fact that they can be had for pennies makes them a real treat.
  12. mickaltamont

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Canton S Plus Speakers

Well a quick trip to Goodwill yielded these, a pristine pair of Canton Plus S speakers. $20 for the pair. I've got a pair of their LE102 bookshelf speakers which I am quite happy with, so I'm already a bit of a fan. Got home and hooked them up and I'm pretty happy with them. Quite a bit like the...
  13. mickaltamont

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Feb. 4, 2015
  14. mickaltamont

AR P10 amp and C06 preamp. Thoughts?

Got the AR gear hooked up last night. I like the way this system sounds, perhaps a bit cleaner sounding and little more lively than the Rotel/Hafler combo. But...there's a slight buzzing sound coming from the amplifier. It's not coming through the line but can be heard coming from the unit...
  15. mickaltamont

AR P10 amp and C06 preamp. Thoughts?

I'm going to hook them up after dinner and see what they sound like. They sure look different and I'm not sure in a good way.
Back
Top Bottom