Recent content by Mike Cate

1. M

Thinking about upgraging from AT LP-120

Nope, DD & pitch control aren't important to me. Buying the LP-120 was kind of a rush decision when I decided to put my system back together last fall. Wish I'd done more research.
  2. M

Thinking about upgraging from AT LP-120

Hi everyone. Here's my system: Adcom GFP-565 preamp & GFA-555 ii amp, Mcintosh XR-240 speakers. CD player is an Adcom GCD 600, & TT is the LP-120. I've removed the phono preamp from the TT, & upgraded to a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. Also put a rubber mat on it from my old Techniqs SLQ-300. I've...
  3. M

Your first, early, back in the day systems

Ok, this really makes me feel old! Early 1980's, right after I got married: Pioneer SX-6 receiver, Techniqs SLQ-300 turntable (still have), Sony CDP-102 (still have but doesn't work), Akai cassette deck, & Bose 601 series 2 speakers.
  4. M

My (out of hibernation) system

Yep, going from the GFA-545ii to the 555ii really seemed to wake the speakers up. The 240's love power, & the more powerful amp definitely has more punch.
  5. M

Thanks everyone! Nice to see there's some fellow Veterans here too!
  6. M

I like it a lot. I originally bought a Vessel from LPGear, but its voltage output was really low. Like 2.5mV. I lost a lot of volume. The Nagaoka has a much higher output. I thought both it & the Vessel both sounded better than the AT that came with the TT, but the Vessel was just too weak.
  7. M

Pics of your listening space

This is the loft in our house. AKA my listening space. Viewing too! Our main TV, a 55" 1080P Panasonic plasma, is downstairs. The 60" 4K Samsung sees limited duty right now. I mainly use it & the Klipsch sound bar for David Gilmour Live At Pompeii, & other live concert DVD's & Blurays!
  8. M

Back in the early 90's I discovered Adcom. Being in the US Navy & married with 3 kids, I wasn't exactly made of money. (Still not!) Adcom offered impressive sound that didn't stretch my budget too much. I purchased a GTP-400 tuner/preamp, a GFA-545 ii amp, a GCD-600 CD player, & later on a pair...
Back
Top Bottom