Recent content by Mike Sweeney

1. Mike Sweeney

Grumpy updates - last 08-19- 23

Glad to hear its working out for everyone there. Its amazing how fast things can change in one's life. We can swap stories at some point.. in my case, it was the unexpected need of two stents installed and the doc asking why I was still alive. Certainly gets one's attention. Please take care and...
  2. Mike Sweeney

Wood case - Reproduction vs. Original

I re-veneered mine since the original 2285B case was very badly chipped and ripped off. I used paper backed walnut veneer. I used shellack and on the last coat, I used a blend of amber/white ( clear) shellac to give a nice warm tone. It was still too "bright" so a few mist coats of walnut toner...
  3. Mike Sweeney

Marantz 2250 (Non-B) Starting Rebuild

here is the comparison from old to brand new switches https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/replacement-marantz-and-others-switches-for-speakers-etc.847152/
  4. Mike Sweeney

Marantz 2250 (Non-B) Starting Rebuild

. The outer is the same.. the inner is not depending on the switch config. When you take one apart, there are itty bitty spring slides. I would suggest replacing the switch with good used or a new one. New switches are available from DigKey and maybe others. Somewhere here I have pictures on...
  5. Mike Sweeney

Marantz 2285

My 2285B was my 2nd ever Marantz to restore.. talk about diving into the deep end :). But it has some great sound. It has place of pride in my loft :)
  6. Mike Sweeney

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

. I started in mid 70s and left Hughes in 1989. Started in Ground Systems Group ( worked on various radars) and then went to Space and Comm. Good times until GM bought us.
  7. Mike Sweeney

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

. This is mostly isohexane and naphtha. These two cleaners make up about 65% of the total liquid volume. The CRC cleaner according to the MSDS is pretty toxic all things considered. The package has a health hazard rating of 1 and 2s.. or Acute toxicity (oral, Dermal and Inhalation). Not...
  8. Mike Sweeney

Looking to redo the veneer of my Marantz 6100 turntable, any tips?

Speaking of the actual turntable.. a lot of folks forget they are just as old as the rest of the gear :) Caps are dried out.. bad solder joints and so on. I've done three now.. technics ( 2) and one Kenwood. I tear them down completely.. new caps.. new power transistor(s). closely look at the...
  9. Mike Sweeney

Looking to redo the veneer of my Marantz 6100 turntable, any tips?

Don't use the heatset glue for veneer :/ I made some speakers and used it.. what a PIA. You need to get the application perfect and even then I had some issues with chipping on the edges. A secondary issue was the heatset glue is water based.. caused a lot of raised grain with the veneer. In...
  10. Mike Sweeney

Any recommendations on how to fix 2245 input board?

I may have a spare.. let me dig into my black box of parts :) Never mind.. I see you did an eBay buy
  11. Mike Sweeney

Marantz 2285b Recap - Capacitor and transistor replacement list

I would not stuff these. Its a lot of work with very little payback.. zero if you ever need to go back and fix one of them. It takes just a bit of work to make up a perfboard mount for 4 caps which are available in radial leads with the correct ratings. Do it right and you dont alter the...
  12. Mike Sweeney

Marantz 2285b Recap - Capacitor and transistor replacement list

If you have any issues with your 2285B, I did my personal unit a couple of years back. It was a total basket case so I got to learn more about the 2285Bs than normally I would on a restore :) Its a special beast.. an awesome sound.
  13. Mike Sweeney

What would you do with this 2245?

I'd restore it. I would cry if while using the power supply gave up in spectacular fashion or one of the amps did due to old age. Or just something as simple a power surge while using it and pushing something over the edge whereas a modern part would hold up.
  14. Mike Sweeney

Vellum for Marantz Receivers

The tape I use is for attaching phone/tablet screens. On my personal units, the tape is going on two years without issue. Here is the verbiage " Kaisiking 2mm / 3mm / 5mm / 10mm x 25M Clear Heat Resistant Double Sided Tape Roll Strong Adhesive Sticker Tape Compatible for Cell Phone, iPhone...
  15. Mike Sweeney

Marantz control cross reference spreadsheet - now searchable

I didn't see the 2265B listed but I was doing other things at the same time I probably overlooked it. I'll check it again tonight.
Back
Top Bottom