Recent content by mnrocketry

1. mnrocketry

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

A coworker is clearing out stuff from his father-in-law's estate. He came across this Denon DP-52F turntable, and I gave him $50 for it. Rubber mat is wrong. It has a Yamaha headshell and Yamaha CG-7700 cartridge. Will probably be a pain, but it's pretty!
  2. mnrocketry

Mystery DLK’s

Those are Domus Model 2's; I used to own a pair. After a lawsuit forced DLK to stop using the DLK branding on their speakers, they branded their speakers as Domus instead. I've never seen a pair of Domus 2's that were still branded as DLK before. Must have been made in a pretty narrow window...
  3. mnrocketry

DLK 1 1/2 Speakers Network Wiring Diagram?

Which is why I put this text on that schematic, "Note - There were many variations of the 1-1/2 over the years of production. This schematic is for the mid-70s version. (foam grills, woofers with rubber surrounds and DLK dust caps, phenolic cone tweeter) Crossover details may be different for...
  4. mnrocketry

DLK 1 1/2 Speakers Network Wiring Diagram?

If you mean a crossover and internal wiring schematic, here is one that I drew up a few years back when I was restoring a pair.
  5. mnrocketry

Newbie Needs advice on Elac Uni-fi UB5's

I have a Yamaha A-S501 integrated amplifier that I've been using with a wide variety of speakers (ranging from 4 to 8 ohm) for six years now. Bought it very slightly used here on Bartertown. I'm happy with it and can recommend it.
  6. mnrocketry

Adding centre channel to KG4

If you're watching movies on it, then, yes, I'd say that a center channel speaker would be a worthwhile addition. As far as what to use... You could try a Klipsch center channel speaker such as the KV-2. They are readily available used in my area. I bought one at a local thrift store for $15...
  7. mnrocketry

DLK 1.5 - More than one generation?

All Domus speakers are of the same "generation". Sometime, maybe mid 1980s, DLK was forced to stop branding its speakers as "DLK", and it switched to the "Domus" brand. I don't even know how many different Domus models were made. I've never seen any catalog or advertising flier for them...
  8. mnrocketry

The soft dome tweeter is almost certainly an improvement over the phenolic cone tweeter. I can't say much about the details of the sound comparison anymore. While I did simultaneously own 1st and 3rd gen 1-1/2s, that was ~7 years ago. I gifted the 3rd gen to a friend ~6 years ago and sold the...
  9. mnrocketry

DLK Model 1-1/2 1st gen - foam grilles, cast DLK emblem attached to bottom right corner of grill, woofers evenly spaced vertically, phenolic ring cone tweeter, round plates on back of cabinet 2nd gen - fabric grilles, "DLK/1 1/2" on horizontal strip across grille towards the top, woofers...
  10. mnrocketry

Identify capacitor in Advent crossover

I just re-capped a pair of Legacy two days ago. I used a Dayton Audio DMPC-6.2 6.2uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor along with a 15uF and a 17uF electrolytic wired in parallel to give 32uF. (I could have used a 33uF film cap. Didn't mostly because they're frickin' huge.)
  11. mnrocketry

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

There is some sort of odd confluence of audio here - Absolute Sound Laboratories (the McIntosh shop that you mentioned), plus Savage Audio and LaVonne Music.
  12. mnrocketry

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Had my first thrift audio purchase today in quite a long time. Almost didn't go in the Salvation Army because I've never found anything there that I wanted to buy. Anyway, there was a pair of Advent Legacy // speakers. $30 plus tax and they came home with me. Quite good cosmetic condition...
  13. mnrocketry

DLK 1 1/2 crossovers ???

Generally speaking... The 1st generation DLK 1-1/2 speakers used the round terminal plate. The 2nd generation DLK 1-1/2 speakers used the square terminal plate. Without description or photos, I can't tell you what generation the speakers that you're looking at fall into. It's possible that...
  14. mnrocketry

Nakamichi 430 FM Tuner

Probably a unit that I should be watching for, since I own the matching pre-amp and amp.
  15. mnrocketry

That time The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Featured HPM-100s

Yes, that is an original HPM-100 dealer demo model in the clear plexiglass cabinet. A Google search will give you more photos and info. I noticed it instantly in that scene when my wife and I watched that episode. Most likely some set dresser picked it out simply because of it they looked. I...
Back
Top Bottom