Recent content by mquinn25

1. mquinn25

Noob repair help - SX-980

...and I agree with Mark...your caps look fine in those pics. I love that Receiver!
  2. mquinn25

Noob repair help - SX-980

soulscratch...I was scared to death to mess with my SX-3900, but I am really glad I did. I am no expert electronics technician. I rebuilt the power supply, cleaned the pots and switches and replaced all the lamps and cleaned. I even bought a re-wrap tool on Amazon to re-wrap the wires. I...
  3. mquinn25

Pioneer SX-3900 Clean Up and Lamp Project

Mission Accomplished Happy to report my SX-3900 is back to life...clean, shiny and well lit with an almost new POWER SUPPLY. This was not easy for me...but patience and research paid off. The original mission was to replace dead lamps and clean pots. That lead to a PS failure and re-cap...
  4. mquinn25

Need Help Sourcing Obsolete Parts

David, This is EXTREMELY helpful advice and it makes a of of sense. I just did a spot check and don't see any obvious swells or leaks, but I can't really see all the caps. I may need to delve deeper. Thank you for this advice! Mike
  5. mquinn25

jobrewer, It certainly seems to run hot. I've already spotted some copper heat sinks I am going to put on them to try to cool it down a bit. I just love the look and sound of these old Pioneer's. They are a marvel of engineering inside. :-) Mike
  6. mquinn25

John, Thank you! I did exchange a few emails with a guy named Marco at Mouser, but I will try calling next week. Most of the parts he listed as obsolete with no cross reference. Man, a year is a long time to wait! Glad to hear you got it back in service. :-) Thanks for the info. :-) Mike
  7. mquinn25

Hi AK, I have an active SX-3900 thread in the Pioneer section trying to document my clean/re-lamp of an SX-3900. I did what I set out to accomplish, but during reassembly I had some issues with power to the Flouroscan board and the lights. It's failing, so I pulled the Power Supply and it had...
  8. mquinn25

Trying to find replacement lamp for my Pioneer tuner (TX-7500)

I just purchased some similar lamps from Dave, and let me tell you....he is awesome.
  9. mquinn25

I hear you KingBubba. It wasn't too bad getting the extensions back in for me, but I did use straws a few times. I am really nervous about this new development thought with the power supply. I've soldered plenty, but have never unwrapped/or wrapped wires. I need to order the tool and figure...
  10. mquinn25

Update... Well I got it back together to the point where I could test it. It was working, then I turned it off, turned it on and some lights are not working and the Flouroscan tuner was out. It was then that I noticed the power supply needs work. Exactly where everyone else was having...
  11. mquinn25

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to start a thread to let folks know how this is going. I've received a lot of help and good advice from people, so I thought it would be right to share my experience. A brief history... I grew up in the 80's and my neighbor and good friend purchased an SX-3800. We...
  12. mquinn25

Uh oh. I bought a stinker. SX-3900

Haha...actually it is a back plate and it's black too...it is behind the face plate...
  13. mquinn25

Uh oh. I bought a stinker. SX-3900

Thanks guys. I am aware of these issues and truly concerned. At this point I have done all I can to access the switches, pots and lamps, so the black plate is now the only option for access. I am new to the forum and would like to make a contribution, so I will do my best to document this...
  14. mquinn25

Pioneer SX-3700: Help needed to clean/polish faceplate

So....how did it go jonwb? I have an SX-3900 I've been using for almost 3 years and decided it's time to shop it, so I started disassembly and ordered my lamps... need to get in there and clean those pots and switches. Would love to see pics of your SX-3700 completed! Mike
  15. mquinn25

Access to SX-3900 Pots and Switches to deoxit

Mark....I can't think you enough for this. I just ordered (6) as I wanted a set for a future project. I know I want more Pioneer equipment. Not only do they sound great and look great, but I have a serious emotional attachment to them. I just need to get into those pots and switches and get...
Back
Top Bottom