Recent content by mr_light

1. mr_light

Using Subwoofers or Large Woofers with Stand Mount Speakers for improved lower frequencies

I have experimented with a variety of Sat-Sub configurations over the years. Getting the balance and transition point right can be tough. I have tried my M&K 12" sub with ADS L200c, L300c, L400, as well as Rodgers LS35/As. The L400s with sub seemed best matched. Matching speakers not...
  2. mr_light

Anyone else get the promo email for the new Fosi V3 Mono with PFFB?

I think people are confusing V3 stereo and the new V3 mono amp that can't be ordered yet..
  3. mr_light

Using two integrated amps one as preamp other as power amp.

Just saying, a picture is worth a thousand words...
  4. mr_light

Classic NAD pre-amp connect to Class D amp

I am using a NAD 7240PE receiver as a preamp for a pair of Aiyima a07 amps. This adds gain and loudness compensation that I like for low volume listening. I think it sounds good. It also adds a limited amount of input switching.
  5. mr_light

My brother forced me to purchase a smartphone.

Keep it out of the bedroom or you will get no sleep! I wish I followed my own advice...
  6. mr_light

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

I know there are sustained power ratings (100watts 8ohms RMS for example) that very few chip amps are rated at these days. Are there standardized transient peak power ratings that would be meaningful for assessing "headroom" for peaks? I think many higher quality amps have more "headroom"...
  7. mr_light

Fosi BT20A Pro - I'm impressed

I also have a Fosi BT20A Pro. Sounds really good with my ADS L400s. It's nice having the tone controls to boost the bass a little bit when running without a sub. I kind of wish I had my Vandersteen speakers to test out the amp, they were always really tough for any of the chip amps I tried to...
  8. mr_light

Replacement counterweights? Are there universal options?

In the mean time how about some modeling clay!
  9. mr_light

Do I want HD Radio?

I like the available HD subchannels which add additional variety to what's available in analog. Near me WAMU has a subchannel dedicated to bluegrass and CSPAN radio offers three subchannels versus one in analog. All depends on what's available in your area.
  10. mr_light

ADS 780/2 vs others

Additional Info: Part Number 206-0355 This woofer is used in - L780-2, L570-2, L690 If you see any of these cheap you could scavenge the drivers. I would set an automated search on EBAY for "206-0355 woofer".
  11. mr_light

Please bring me up to speed on streaming music… It’s been a while for me!

The Amazon music App has an option to display the current bitrate being played. I am able to stream up to 24 bit/192khz from my FireTV Stick (latest) plugged into my older JVC TV, through an optical cable to my Schiit Modi DAC, into preamp/amp. Sounds really good to me. Note: not all TVs will...
  12. mr_light

Which “inexpensive” speakers were you blown away by?

This thread would be more useful if this was about actually "inexpensive " good sounding speakers rather than another thread about scoring Klipschorns for $5...
  13. mr_light

Rhapsody in Blue at 100 today.

Guess what I just watched being performed a the Library of Congress...
  14. mr_light

Aiyima A07 Review

I somehow ended up with four AIYIMA A07s and am trying to figure out if the concerns about sound quality with 48volt power supplies are only at high volume or if this applies to low to mid volume? I like the idea of more headroom for transients when playing at lower volumes. Also wondering...
  15. mr_light

I only buy one brand of speakers

I have bought more than a dozen pair of ADS speakers and never been disappointed.
Back
Top Bottom