Recent content by mrk1509

1. mrk1509

Fleetwood Console Amp - 6BQ5's

Well, glad I resisted the urge to plug it in. Opened up the bottom and leaking capacitors everywhere. 'Plastiseal' clearly didn't stand the test of time. Question about these ac outlets that look grounded to the chassis; anything I should be watching for here?
  2. mrk1509

Thanks Tom; this quote from Antique radio from may explain the 5V3 if this amp was part of a later tube television combo? (and it has the plug in at the back to support one) "The 5V3 was quite an improvement over the 5U4, as TV sets were being designed using somewhat more B+ current than the...
  3. mrk1509

Much appreciated for the feedback. Some more digging shows it may be an iteration of the 2050 schematic since it's rocking a much larger 5v3 Rectifier tube. Some browsing indicates this was a meatier tube designed to push a TV chassis. Thanks to http://www.tvhistory.tv/FLEETWOOD-CANADA.htm I...
  4. mrk1509

Hi All, Set my hands on a nice little amp off of the classifieds. It looks to be a Fleetwood SW/AM/Stereo Phono out of some sort of console. It took me a bit by surprise when I saw it in person; I thought it may be a Fleetwood 2050 based on the photo layout but spinning it around revealed a TV...
  5. mrk1509

Mystery Speaker ID

Sorry All, I missed out on the chance to see them in person; someone else took the plunge I guess. For what it's worth I've had pairs of Spectrums, Vega Linears, and a few other Canadian 'white vans' come through my garage and they never disappointing on cabinet weight. Some sounded pretty...
  6. mrk1509

Yamaha NS 15 Natural Sound

I checked it out and had done some reading. The bubbles are where the glue between the black plastic film and the styrofoam core have separated. It's not supposed to affect performance materially. I content it's not broken. Just not big on bass. When I get the second one working I'll play them...
  7. mrk1509

Fair question. I think I was overly harsh in my earlier post and may edit it. Essentially I feel they struggle with the low end of my music like basses and drums. I think you could hand these speakers to a stranger and they'd find them great, but A/Bing them leaves me frustrated. I will be...
  8. mrk1509

Going to jump into this thread as it is the most recent for these speakers. Today in a related thread someone asked me what I thought of these (acquired a pair for cheap). Simply put I want to like them so much it hurts. They're technically dipolar with their open baffle backing and I haven't...
  9. mrk1509

Sony APM 717 - surrounds are rotten - now what

Figured I'd add a shot of the main driver in the 717s. Big magnet for maybe a 4" surface but it has a lot to move around I suppose
  10. mrk1509

New To Me Sony APM 66ES speakers

I have a post about the APM-717s I refoamed as practice for the 66's. They're not bad drivers (I still like the flat square tweeters) but the woofer on the 717's is literally just a plastic cone glued to the square metal-coated cardboard. The squares are novel but you'd likely be happier...
  11. mrk1509

Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

I haven't played with the working one a great deal but I'd register them under 'Gimmicky'. I have no qualms about their build quality though; a lot of effort went into the parts so they must have believed they served a purpose. I'll experiment in different rooms and take some good photos and...
  12. mrk1509

New To Me Sony APM 66ES speakers

Resurrecting this thread so I apologize. I wanted to update any other 66 owners that I did take the leap on the Russian foams from the auction site and want to say they turned out pretty fantastic. Trimmed the inner and outer seams to fit but the rolled part was a great fit and very...
  13. mrk1509

Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

Most enjoyed sound quality this moment: 1)Sony AMP-66ES 2)KOSS CM1020 (crossovers need refresh) 3)W.E.B. VIP12's (mismatched drivers) 4)Paradigm 3se mkII (too bass-heavy) 4)PSB 50r's (1st refoam way too stiff, lost a ton of low end, new foam on the way, used to be #2) 5)Yamaha NS-15 earspeakers...
  14. mrk1509

Mystery Speaker ID

Thank you all for the responses. They didn't jump out as an obvious brand but certain agree they have the kabuki effect (15" woofer). Dont think I'll bother trying to learn more in person. Many thanks!
  15. mrk1509

Mystery Speaker ID

Hey All, Sorry to make this post but wanted to lean on the collective expertise. Anyone have a bead on these? look like mystical white van speakers but they intrigue still. Many thanks,
Back
Top Bottom