Recent content by mrwood200

1. mrwood200

My first integrated tube amp suggestions

Your Marantz and/or proposed new tube amp will both give you plenty of power for either of your speaker options. My feedback was more associated with your system building opportunity, and helping to ensure your entry into tubes goes well! I still like sorting out the speaker option asap. I...
  2. mrwood200

My first integrated tube amp suggestions

Woohoo! Let's buy a tube amp! Your budget gives us options & I like your choice of integrated amp. What are your sources? vinyl? I am not familiar with these amps, but if I got to choose one from your list, I would be interested in the local Magnum II. Get info on tubes; supplied tubes can...
  3. mrwood200

Griffin o Pioneer

Well done Detective! Not that uncommon for equipment to be sold under different names/faceplates. I bet you can find a schematic & get very close. I don't see a Monarch ST-200 tuner, but Google has a ST-260.
  4. mrwood200

Griffin o Pioneer

Hello Bolivia! Is this the brochure you found? https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/nos-denon-griffith-707a-tube-reel-to-reel.16295/ Maybe contact those guys directly to see what info they have? I have not seen this equipment before. The face plates look a LOT like Eico equipment, but I don't see...
  5. mrwood200

Vintage Luxman showdown: MQ60, MQ70, MQ80, SQ38FD, ?

Let's ship this back to the vendor. I feel you have fulfilled your part of the contract in good faith. You should feel comfortable using the warranty that you purchased. Any additional work is time/money/warranty concerns. Any number of things could have happened during shipment. Could be...
  6. mrwood200

Schiit Freya + vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

Yes, there is something unique about the tube output with the freya+. I will defer to your research, and I likey some Audiophiliac & respect his opinion, but this preamp is not for me today. Do you already own both of these amps? If yes, no interest in a Mc preamp? Do you have a good source...
  7. mrwood200

Schiit Freya + vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

Hello & welcome to tubes! You are well on your way to a fine system. I am working to integrate a Wiim Pro into my system this week! I have no experience with either preamp, but thought I read where the Schiit only used the tubes with the balanced outputs (not RCA). In addition, it appears...
  8. mrwood200

Output Transformer without Common, Identification

Amp still in one piece? If yes, you should be able to determine OPT connections by tracing wires? Amp connections (OP photo & this photo from other site):
  9. mrwood200

Zenith 5AR4 GZ34 Rectifier Tube, Has anyone seen this version? Who made it? Fat Bottle?

Not sure on this one - Sylvania good guess. The glass is labeled 'USA'? The funky getter post strikes me as non-USA I think the numbers go vertical. 343 eia code for Zenith; the others probably date but not sure.
  10. mrwood200

preamp suggestion for this tube amp

.........I would like to offer a course change & consider resistors a priority..... I just might learn something tonight! Good troubleshooting thread w/results. From linked thread/Gadget 'could be a plate resistor dying and making noises as the voltage across it changes' From century tek...
  11. mrwood200

preamp suggestion for this tube amp

Agreed. 'Motorboating' and 'noise at turn off' indicate capacitor problems. Not sure about solder joint concerns, especially as problem is only when turning off. What about caps in the affected channel after PS? I would take it out of service. I would be concerned today for any excessive...
  12. mrwood200

HA! We can cross external power supply off the list! As of now, sorry to say we are in agreement with relay. Should have kicked in if all OK.... Since you got a warranty, I would limit any additional work without contacting vendor. If they could offer some easy troubleshooting steps (e.g...
  13. mrwood200

Good call. Almost have to be. Got to sort the voltage out on Japanese equipment prior to start up. fyi - from earlier in this same thread....... It is possible high voltage triggers this protection. Either way, I would start the troubleshooting with evaluating the power supply.
  14. mrwood200

Sansui 1000A Where to start?

Or the owner! On that note ... Welcome to AK! Very nice receiver! Let's not power it up again without speakers or capacitors connected. The risk to the receiver & you is real. I look forward to your pictures & renovation plans!
  15. mrwood200

need help with upgrading capacitors in a tube amp

But you could do different! I do think caps can make a difference. Probably going to be subtle; may be very subtle. And difficult to evaluate (see above). If not a maintenance recap, I am not rushing to 'upgrade' caps. If I am installing new caps = orange drops & cornell. It is rare, but I...
Back
Top Bottom