Recent content by mufster

1. mufster

Realistic STA - 90, made in Japan, thoughts?

I have a new in box. Tested it and the left speaker was about a quarter the level of the right one. Going to take it to my tech one day... One of the best looking receivers. No doubt. Here's it is in the box. It's in there. Too much stuff piled on top of it to dig it out. Sold through Tandy in...
  2. mufster

Talk me out of this...

Only six or seven...
  3. mufster

What would you say is the best sounding vintage Receiver

Pioneer SX-737 is a real sweetheart. Yamaha CR-1000 just wows in every aspect.
  4. mufster

RCA Cables..

Recently purchased a Chord Clearway Analogue RCA 1.0m With ChorAlloy Plugs. £75($90). Noticed a big difference over the cheapo £5 cable. Thankfully! One thing I really noticed was the clarity at lower volume. I always feel low volume loses detail, but not with this cable. I am hearing every...
  5. mufster

Tuners pictured in their own light (covers optional) - post 'em

Rotel RT-1024 Kenwood supreme 600 Sony ST-A7
  6. mufster

What's British in your system?

Mission 753 floor standing speakers Mordaunt Short MS208 floor standing speakers Monitor Audio BR5 floor standing speakers Goodmans Achromat Kappa stand speakers B&W DM23 stand speakers Rogers LS2 book shelf speakers Accoustic Research AR-4XA book shelf speakers A&R A60 Integrated Amplifier...
  7. mufster

The Exposure Thread - Welcome Exposure Fans!

I have an Exposure X. Makes a scary boof through the speakers when you switch it on. No relay. Sounds amazing. Staying with me till I shuffle off this mortal coil.
  8. mufster

Is everyone into audio broke?

I just take the opinion that if I want it, can afford it, and it is not priced unreasonably, then I buy it. Of course depending on your income, each person has their own maximum budget. I.e. up to 50, up to 100, up to 200, up to 500 etc.
  9. mufster

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

A Kenwood KT-9177, the military grey version of the KT-917 off EB. Needs attention. Left channel crackling with not much sound, then pops back after pressing buttons and twisting the knobs left and right. Then a minute later, drops again. Going to take it in for a service. Hopefully just needs...
  10. mufster

Sony TA-F555ES II rated 6 ohm, using 4 ohm speakers

Well I tried it for a few weeks but it appeared to be struggling, slightly distorting and getting fairly toasty. So I swapped it for my Kenwood KA-1100d. That is rated to handle 4 ohms. It is 150wpc into 8 ohms, so has plenty of power. It doesn't get hot and there is no distortion at all. It...
  11. mufster

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

A Trio Model 600 integrated amplifier. It was packed in a box twice its size with a couple of pieces of bubble wrap and screwed up newspaper. Dents and damaged front, back, base and two or three knobs hanging off. Stuck in protection mode. The (now) 21kg paperweight is going back to the seller...
  12. mufster

Sony TA-F555ES II rated 6 ohm, using 4 ohm speakers

The amp is reasonably high end. It is rated at 6 to 16 ohm speaker impedence and is a European multi voltage unit. I want to connect it to 4 ohm speakers. Would this be ok or a big no no. I will point out that the US 120v version is rated at 4 to 16 ohms. Not sure why they are different when it...
  13. mufster

1988, when CD players were built with no cost cutting, a KENWOOD DP-990SG thread

The one in the link is fine. You could rip the cd's that are acting up and then burn them onto a blank cd-r at a slower burn speed and see if that helps. Sometimes cd players struggle with certain brands and types of cd's. Not all cd's are equal. It's to do with the layering.
  14. mufster

1988, when CD players were built with no cost cutting, a KENWOOD DP-990SG thread

You could try running a cd cleaner through it in case the laser has dirt/dust on it. Also, older cd players may need the write speed lowering when burning a cd-r. I usually burn at no more than 8x. It is not common for these cd players to struggle to play cd's. Is the issue only with cd-r's...
  15. mufster

AX-900 & AX900U REPAIR

Nice amp. Worth restoring. I've had one since 2009 which my son has in his bedroom. Had to deoxit all the pots when I got it as one of the channels kept cutting out. It has never had a problem since and sounds wonderful. You are very fortunate to have two.
Back
Top Bottom