1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

musichal's Recent Activity

1. musichal liked mjw21a's post in the thread So Can There Be Parallels Between System Building and Your Grandma's Cooking?.

I'm in agreement in a way.... I do not believe that specs tell much though they are a useful indicator. What I find far more useful is...

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM
  2. musichal replied to the thread Help choosing a stereo amplifier under $250.

I know of no new receiver or integrated amp meeting your criteria within your stated budget. I assume you meant to post this somewhere...

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:49 PM
  3. musichal liked gongli's post in the thread Monitor Audio Silver 6 Speakers.

I have older monitor audio silver towers similar to s6, and like them a lot. Mated with Adcom CD player and audiosource 300 amp (with...

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM
  4. musichal replied to the thread Help me shop. Either integrated amp, or amp/preamp combo. Bang for buck..

My point is think bigger, save up your money and really step up when you make a move. At your current budget I agree with you that you...

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM
  5. musichal liked mashaffer's post in the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

As a side note Opera can give your average phono cartridge a real workout. As to recording a piano one frequent screw up is two mics...

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM
  6. musichal liked wilberforce's post in the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

not only is it hard to reproduce, but how it's recorded has soooo much to do with the sound. Where are you the listener supposed to be...

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM
  7. musichal liked GordonW's post in the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

I would qualify the human voice thing... CHORALE recordings are among the ABSOLUTE HARDEST things for speakers to get "right", IME....

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM
  8. musichal liked guiller's post in the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

Yes, that is my impression. I constantly attend classical concerts to keep my ears trained as to how a real instrument sounds. The...

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:52 PM
  9. musichal replied to the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

I agree with piano. Covering just more than 7 octaves, with a ton of acoustic power, complex timbre, and wide dynamics, I've never...

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM
  10. musichal liked guiller's post in the thread Hardest genre to reproduce accurately.

Any music performed by musical instruments with no amplification, like all of classical music and some jazz. Once you put some...

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:20 PM
  11. musichal liked sunvalleylaw's post in the thread Help me shop. Either integrated amp, or amp/preamp combo. Bang for buck..

First, thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it. Next, really, digital could be totally optional. And yes, I don't think I would...

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:25 PM
  12. musichal replied to the thread Help me shop. Either integrated amp, or amp/preamp combo. Bang for buck..

Save up some more dough, and pounce when you find a decent deal on an amp/combo that represents a real upgrade.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:44 AM
  13. musichal replied to the thread So Can There Be Parallels Between System Building and Your Grandma's Cooking?.

No magic? No guru? Most of us here have probably been, or now are, someone's audio guru. A small handful of people have even used the...

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:35 AM
  14. musichal liked theophile's post in the thread So Can There Be Parallels Between System Building and Your Grandma's Cooking?.

If one can accept that one of the shades of meaning which are associated with the word cook, is to put raw food through a process to...

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM
  15. musichal liked restorer-john's post in the thread So Can There Be Parallels Between System Building and Your Grandma's Cooking?.

No parallels for me. I loved whatever they fed me and ate it all, but there was no 'secret sauces' or 'magic combinations', just good...

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:57 PM