needlestein
Last Activity:
Mar 29, 2017 at 7:25 PM
Foole

Share This Page

needlestein

Super Member, from West Hartford, CT

needlestein was last seen:
Viewing thread What mm cartridge goes well with Project turntables?, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    1. steven94
      steven94
      Just want to say thank you,thank you ,thank you for the heads up on the vivid line 7500s It's everything you said and then some
      1. needlestein likes this.
    2. steven94
      steven94
      you talked about a LPgear stylus XLV 7500MK II S replacement for the D7500 on the XLZ. You said it sounds amazing compared to the original. could you elaborate on that a little .I have a XLZ with a 4500S that but would love to try a nude 7500.I also have 2 4608 devs is it better than these?Thank you for your time and testing itis appreciated
      1. needlestein
        needlestein
        Just a quick comment: I have not compared them to the 4608-DEV but that is a darned good stylus. To me the VVL sounds as good, rich, detailed and full as original D7500 and others, but tracking force is 1/2 gram higher. It deserves the highest praise for an aftermarket stylus.
        Jan 20, 2017
    3. mpribble
      mpribble
      thanks for all the help going to order two of the 4606-dex for my two cartridges will let you know. Have a great evening sir. Next time I will post to your pm.
    4. mpribble
      mpribble
      If I may if I go with the evg 4606-dex what should I set my tone arm at for the 680 or the 600?
      1. needlestein
        needlestein
        Well, the suggested tracking force should be 0.75-1.5g. So somewhere in there.
        Dec 1, 2015
    5. mpribble
      mpribble
      The 680ee came on table when I got it and the gold 600 got from a friend. Will these two sound the same?
      1. needlestein
        needlestein
        Depends on how golden your ears are. The 680 and the 600 are both moving iron designs. The 600 is older, but is only a two coil design. There are those who believe that a four coil design will always sound more refined than a two coil design. I have not heard any differences between types that beget rules in my experience.
        Dec 1, 2015
      2. needlestein
        needlestein
        I've only recently acquired my own 600 and last night was the first time I even stuck the 4606-DEX in it to see how it sounded, but I did not follow up with a 680/681 to compare. What I can tell you is that they will both sound excellent. If the two-coil 600 is a little throatier and indeed less refined, then use that for rock and roll--either way, it's an excellent cartridge. I'm keeping mine!
        Dec 1, 2015
    6. mpribble
      mpribble
      Yes not the smartest here. :) The table is a pioneer pl-514
      1. needlestein
        needlestein
        I'm not familiar with that table, so perhaps you can direct that question in the forum so that those who know it can weigh in. I'm going with the hunch that since the deck came with a 680EE that it will be fine.
        Dec 1, 2015
    7. mpribble
      mpribble
      Thanks for the reply sir. Were can a guy buy this stylus? So your saying the part numbers you gave me three of them are the same stylus and will fit both cartridge's? I'm sorry for sounding so how can I say it new?
      1. needlestein
      2. needlestein
        needlestein
        The 4606-DEM is also good if you have a heavier arm. I suppose I really should be asking what table you're going to be mounting this stylus on to figure out whether it's a good match or not. But chances are, if you're running a single play manual turntable made in the last thirty or even forty years, it will be a good match.
        Dec 1, 2015
      3. needlestein
        needlestein
        The giveaway that you're "new" is that you are writing on my profile instead of PM'ing me. No harm done. Yes, those part numbers are all for the same stylus. There are others, too, believe it or not.
        Dec 1, 2015
    8. mpribble
      mpribble
      wanted to know if you could help a guy out? I have two stanton cartridges on is a 680ee and a gold 600. Could you please tell me what stylus's to get for these. I know very little about this i been looking have no ideal what to get. Thanks alot
      1. needlestein
        needlestein
        The easiest no fuss replacement for both of those carts is the same answer: the EVG 606-DEX aka 4606-DEX aka PM4052DE. I have both of these carts and can confirm that the same EVG stylus will make them both sound fantastic.
        Nov 30, 2015
    9. needlestein
      needlestein
      Hey holysmokesar,

The real expert is Richard Stein who goes by idlerwheel, something like that, here on AK. But I'll help you out anyway. Here is a recent thread on that very cartridge. I, personally, do not own one of these. One day if one falls in my lap, for sure. Seems like a great cartridge and you should enjoy it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=675974
    10. holysmokesar
      holysmokesar
      Hi Needlestein!

I was sent to you via some folks from reddit's r/vinyl. I was told you were a expert/genius of sorts when it comes to Pickering and I was hoping you might be able to assist me in identifying a cart. Aside from the Pickering label it doesn't have any other identifying marks. From what I was told, many believe it to be an XV-15, however, from what I've found online it looks more like a System Series.

I've gone back and forth and all over and have found no for sure answers. Hopefully, you can help? It was given to me and I'm looking to replace the stylus.

Here's a photo. I can send more if necessary.
      http://imgur.com/WWX9H2w

Thank you so much for your time!
      Hopefully, if it's not too much trouble, you can assist me in the hunt for the truth!!

Stanley S.
    11. needlestein
      needlestein
      Clearing space now . . .
    12. illinoisteve
      illinoisteve
      Hey, pal! AK tells me your PM mailbox is full, and it won't let me reply to your recent message until you clear some space.
  • About

Foole
    Chronic MM Swapper

Amps, Carts, Styli, Tubes, LPs, Cameras, Watches, Gardening, Guitars, Drums, Cars, etc

Signature

SL-1200 MKII, Bellari VP-129 w/Sovtek 12AX7LPS, Ming-Da MC24-B/Gold Lion KT66 and 6DJ8, BIC Acoustech HT-64, Bic V1220 sub; cart/stylus varies