Recent content by Nimbley

1. Nimbley

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

Never been hit with high DC but my worst was with 120 wall voltage. Working in an auto shop in college I was under the hood of a pickup or something so I was standing on a metal step stool. I reached up and grabbed the metal cage of the drop light and pulled it down from the reel. I then...
  2. Nimbley

Reel to Reel Connections?

Nice tape machine. I also started with a Denon AVR. I had it worked out well with adapters and switch boxes but it wasn't ideal. Now the Denon is only for HT use. I would recomend finding a two channel setup for music and leave the Denon to what it does best. Vintage or modern depending on...
  3. Nimbley

Guitars you've made: let's see them!

My first attemp. I call her Honey. It was a set neck LP deluxe body and neck kit that I stuffed with vintage gibson hardware. I spent way too much time and money on it but she plays and sounds sweet. Weighs in at 7.3 lbs. I spent alot of hours getting the frets right. It also stays in tune...
  4. Nimbley

Let’s see those table lamps - vintage or modern

I found this for $5 at the local thrift. Not sure of the maker but it's heavy and I like the style.
  5. Nimbley

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

It's amazing how many people can get their underwear all twisted up over a $100K amplifier on an audio forum. Yes its rediculously overkill but I would venture to guess that there are less than 1000 worldwide, or ever will be. To me excess consumption is buying cases of plastic water bottles...
  6. Nimbley

When I say the right application, I'm talking about the whole thing. This amplifier isn't marketed to everyone. The person that buys this also has stuff like a jet, a yacht, a garage full of expensive cars, a staff that they pay to do all the menial stuff around them. The person that buys...
  7. Nimbley

I'd never heard of it so I did a little bit of reading. It's truly an impressive beast and probably worth every penny in the right application. Yes only 210 watts at 8 ohms, but it gives specs down to 1 and that's 1490 watts of pure Class A power. This doesn't come easy or cheap. Something...
  8. Nimbley

Barnes & Noble selling new cassettes

I got one out of curiosity a while ago on Amazon for like $7. It played fine but sounded terrible. Worse than 30 year old cassettes that I used and abused in the car, boat, Walkman, etc. Thankfully quality new blank reel tape is being made and readily available and there seems to be no...
  9. Nimbley

Any sense looking for a "higher end" 8 track player?

I grew up with 8-track tapes in all my families cars. I remember swapping tapes on road trips and it brings back fond memories. My first car actually had the factory 8-track still in it. I made recordings from Metallica, The Cult, ... from my albums and cassettes to listen to in the car. I...
  10. Nimbley

Ditched Amazon Music

Mine doesn't work on anything. PC, laptop, phone, iPad, or WiiM. My friend had the same problem on all his devices also and went to Tidal. I'm sticking with Amazon though. The end product I receive is definitely good, though I get really annoyed seeing the "no results found". Shouldn't be an...
  11. Nimbley

Ditched Amazon Music

This is not how Amazon Music's search engine works. There is no intuitive population of the search. If you don't put the name of the artist, album, or song into the search exactly as it appears on the album Amazon will not bring it up. Even punctuation matters. It's my biggest complaint about...
  12. Nimbley

My Auto Repair Shop Messed Up, (Big Time)

This is why being a repairman of anything is so difficult. Someone who knows nothing about a car is saying that the oil change caused a water pump failure. Never mind a car is a complex piece of machinery with hundreds of parts that could fail at anytime. A water pump is a preventative...
  13. Nimbley

I'd say that engine has plenty of life if its had the oil changed regularly and never overheated. If it was my car I'd be fine with the rebuilt head. Now the head gasket, intake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets are new also. Put a new upstream O2 in if it hasn't been replaced yet also. I...
  14. Nimbley

I'd probably be looking for another shop. This guy has screwed up the most simple timing belt job out there. The Honda civic is probably the easiest car to work on that's ever been made.
Back
Top Bottom